Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 2400

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bluwtr

bluwtr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:50 PM

Is it possible to upgrade the video card in a Dell computer? My father in law has a Dell Dimension 2400 and he got several games for Christmas; IL-2, Pac Fighters, Lo-Mac and FS X. The video card is a 64 MB onboard Intell. Can we upgrade to a high end card?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:07 PM

Another dell story, Now I know why I love them :flowers:

Crack open your case and see if you have the required slots for a new video card, first and foremost, or if you can find anything resembling a pci drive

I know for a fact hwen I cracked open my cousins, I almost fainted at the fact of how bad these computers are put together

if you have hte required devices TO upgrade, then yes, You can, If not then unfortunately your'e out of luck

one thing about dells is theyr'e not meant to be mangled with on YOUR end, they're built so that only a dell technician can fiddle with it, I woudlnt' be surprised if you found nothing at all capable of supporting a vid card

Just my two cents

you can always phone dell, adn ask them if the mobo supports an upgraded vid card, And I might recommend this if you're not that computer savvy but dont' be surprised if the guy on the other end tells you to send it in, and personally its up to you as to whether you should or not :trumpet:

there is an easier way in all this and that's checking your mobo's manual

But I doub tIm wrong in saying they didnt' send it with, because everything to do with dell is custom made on their end, So I doubt you'll find your motherboard online either :inlove:

I think Ill go ahead and search at the specs for this just in case Im wrong..

edit: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1610&page=4

As per the article above the dell 2400 is only capable (according to this article) of supporting low end PCI cards, Meaning anything made within the last..... I'd say 4 years, wont' operate with it, so for upgrade choices you're eitehr looking at maybe a card made in 1999, or yea, that's about it lol, Anything made around the 2000 year or so, I believe was made for AGP slots, Not quite sure on the dates

Sorry :thumbsup:

Edited by resp, 29 December 2006 - 05:12 PM.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

My family has a dimension 2400 and it has no graphics card slots. You could still get a PCI card but there not great. I just got one today though and so far I've noticed a big improvement on games and even just basic things, but it is one of the best for just PCI slots.

Edited by Sterling14, 29 December 2006 - 05:13 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

Disregard this reply... :thumbsup:

Edited by JPHarvey, 29 December 2006 - 05:14 PM.

[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Hardcore

Hardcore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:10 AM

I recommend the Nvidia XFX Geforce 5200 256MB as that for me runs Counter strike: Source on full specs with good FPS, World of Warcraft smooth and Battlefield 2 on low specs. It is a cheap card but careful not to get the lower 128MB as that doesnt run the games as good.

#6 bluwtr

bluwtr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

Is the Nvidia XFX GeForce 5200 a PCI or AGP card?

Any other PCI cards anyone would recommend? I personally like the Nvidia's though.

Thanks,

bluwtr

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:28 PM

For Nvidia a Geforce 5200Fx would probably be your best bet.

For ATI the x1300 (I got one and it works very well) or the 9250 which I've heard is pretty good.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 Hardcore

Hardcore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:15 PM

Is the Nvidia XFX GeForce 5200 a PCI or AGP card?

Any other PCI cards anyone would recommend? I personally like the Nvidia's though.

Thanks,

bluwtr

Its a PCI card, ive got it as I have the Dell 2400 too and it runs good in it.

#9 NZer

NZer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 21 January 2007 - 05:24 PM

Hi There,

I have gone thru the same process with my Dell Dimension 2400. I got hold of a ATI Radeon 9250 PCI card. Problems is, the card requires a 64 bit bus. The Dell only has 3 x 32 bit slots meaning the card is useless. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has been able to find a 32 bit PCI graphics card that is DirectX9 - compatible with pixel shader support.

cheers,
Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users