Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Scrolls To Bottom. Can't Get Back To Top

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sheila M

Sheila M

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:41 PM

Dear BC community,

Computer Setup

Windows XP
Windows OneCare

Main Symptoms:

(1) All programs, screens and dialog boxes exhibit this behavior: Once opened, they immediately roll to the bottom and then I am unable to get back to the top by any means (mouse clicking, scroll bar, page up).

For example, when I navigate to the download page for HijackThis or Windows Defender, I am unable to download them, since their download links are not at the bottom of their pages, and thus are inaccessible.

Another example: When I try to download AVG from ewido.net, I can't select "English" from the dialog box. The only choice is "Slovensky" because it is at the bottom of the dialog box.

(I'm typing this from my husband's Notebook, which is not infected.)

(2) Safe Mode is disabled

When debugging problems in the past, I have successfully used F8 to initiate Safe Mode. This is not possible now.

(3) Anti-Virus Update is disabled

(4) Firewall is disabled and can't be re-enabled

History

Several weeks ago when I booted my computer, and signed in to my account (I have a Guest account for visitors and a password-protected main account), I saw a brief message that the login was "corrupted". When everything loaded, it was as if I had a brand-new computer. In other words, all documents were gone. Most program files were gone. Software that was there, was prompted me to register or activate it.

Very scary stuff.

After a reboot, everything came back. All worked well for the rest of that week until December 23rd. On that day, my Outlook mailbox got hung up and I had to re-boot. While I was shutting down, there were a series of dialog boxes that came up. Now I wonder if I might have inadvertently clicked on something during that shut-down which had a delayed reaction.

Email and Internet Explorer and dialog books were fine the rest of that day, but the following day, these symptoms began.

What I've Tried

I was able to update and run Ad-Aware SE Professional and Spybot -- both only detected cookies

Ran Ewido (AVG) from the website (i.e. without installing). The results log gives me the same scrolling problem, but as far as I can tell it also only found cookies.

Tried to run Symantec's online scanner, but got a "can't install" error message.
:thumbsup:

Am looking forward to your expert advice!

Thanks,

Sheila

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:51 AM

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt to return to a previous state before your problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sheila M

Sheila M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

Hello Quietman,

Thanks for you reply.

Haven't yet tried System Restore. I'm not 100% sure when the problem began. Also haven't had good luck with System Restore in the past. If that becomes my only solution, I will likely call on a local geek for help, because of the "Problems with System Restore" cautions in the excellent guide you linked to.

In any case, I would not be able to do System Restore from a Command Prompt because:

* Can't activate Safe Mode (I understand that some Malware like Bagle now can disable Safe Mode)
http://didierstevens.wordpress.com/2006/06/22/save-safeboot/

* Can't use the DOS prompt from Normal XP (the screen immediately scrolls many lines below the prompt)

Here's some more info since yesterday:

Last night I was able to download and install Prevx1. It too seemed to find only cookies.

This morning I disabled my Internet connection but the problem of immediate scrolling-to-the-bottom-of-the-page remains.

The problem affects EVERYTHING: the Internet browser, dialog boxes, and software. For instance, I tried to open an Excel spreadsheet. Excel opens with a blank spreadsheet (i.e. there is no "bottom"). It scrolled endlessly downward until I finally shut it down at line 25,000. (A normal "screen-ful" of the spreadsheet would contain about 30 lines.)

This also affects the DOS prompt. There is no way to enter commands next to the DOS prompt, because it scrolls into blackness.

I can't seem to find anything online about the scrolling problem. (Other than people who had problems with their mouse, but that's not what this is.)

Regards,

Sheila

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

I have not heard of this scrolling problem issue before either and it may not be malware related. However, the other problems your having with safe mode, updating your anti-virus and using your firewall can be due to malware infection.

If your scans are not finding anything then the latter may not be the case but just the same I would recommend you try a few more online scans. Here is a list to choose from in case you have problems running any of them.

Trend Micro Housecall
Panda ActiveScan <- Accept default settings. (does not remove adware/spyware but will autoclean for viruses & worms).
Kaspersky Webscan
a-squared Web Malware Scanner
F-Secure Online Scanner
BitDefender Online Virus and Malware Scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner - Be sure to read the eTrust Antivirus Scanner Help Guide before scanning.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users