Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serial To Usb Adapter

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cramz

cramz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:18 PM

I have a Garmin GPS unit that came with a serial interface cable. I bought a serial to usb adapter cable that I'm having problems installing. First off I don't think that the disk with the driver is compatible with xp because when my computer finds new hardware it says something about a pl2303 com port and asks if I want to install from the disk, i click yes and then it starts to download and a window pops up asking me to search for a usber.sys file so I browse for that file that i find on the disk,and it asks for another file softctl file, i find that one on the disk and then the wizard completes and says that the device was not installed because the ini file was for win95 or later. I contacted the website where I purchased the cable, waiting on reply.

Can I just use a generic driver to install the adapter?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

I personally have never used a serial to USB adapter. However, after reading the following, I doubt if a generic driver will work:What is the make and model of the adapter you purchased?

Edited by just me, 29 December 2006 - 02:57 PM.

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:17 PM

Mate, we had the same problem at work with our adapters - they would seem to be recognised by Windows, but for some reason they still had the (!) exclamation in the device manager. Again, the drivers supplied, and those embedded in Windows did not correctly enable the adapter.
What brang is the one you are using?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 cramz

cramz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:28 PM

It doesn't have a brand name on it anywhere. i purchased it online for 9.95.

#5 cramz

cramz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

I solved the problem............I just bought another cable.
Thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users