Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Would This Work?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

A dual socket L motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813131146
that can only be bought with a socket F http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16819103864
and a case..
How would that work? Aren't socket F and L different server sockets?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

In this case the Socket F and Socket L refer to the same socket, the 1207FX, which is only for FX-70 series processors. It is based on Socket F (socket 1207). Why they are calling it Socket L, I do not know. The socket 1207FX is not a server socket at all but the socket used in AMD's new Quad FX platform
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

Well socket F is server and I thought 2 processors, 4 video cards, and 12 hard drives would be a server motherboard.
Wouldn't AMD make a lot more money if they came out with it's own quad-core processor? Not an extremely expensive one like Intel's. Maybe a quad-core 4000+? It could cost about as much as an FX-60 or something with dual core. Socket F (or L or whatever). 2 quad-core 4000+ processors in a computer would be awesome without the huge FX price gap.
o crap amd already is making quad core http://virtualexperience.amd.com/index.htm...amp;co=quadcore
i still think a non-opteron quad core would be really smart.

Edited by Archer-of-Death, 29 December 2006 - 03:39 PM.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:21 PM

There are two ways to make a quad-core:
  • you build it from the ground up, which isn't trivial at all and takes years. AMD is doing this, as they mentioned in your link, and it will be out next summer.
  • you take two dual-cores and glue them together on the same package, which is what Intel has done with Kentsfield.
AMD is selling more dual-cores than they can make. They are even hiring other foundries to make processors for them. So, to slap two dual-cores in one package and sell it at a lower price would be a waste of money.

Oh, and when AMD's quad-cores do show up you will be able to stick two of them in the Quad FX and you get a dual quad system.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

Couldn't they make 4 single-core processors into one?
Also, quad core is mainly for business. That's why I thought a 4000+ (perhaps two dual-core 4000+'s) quad-core would be a good idea, it could work for people at home that play games and use a lot of programs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users