Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files That Show Up On My Desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:00 PM

I have a file that I would like to have hidden from casual view, (nothing illegal or disgusting, just some important serial numbers) however, even though I have checked the box on the file properties to make the file hidden, it is plainly visible on the desktop! I am currently running SP2, and the only recent changes I've made recently were to add 1g of ram and upgrade graphics cards from ATI Radeon 9550 to Radeon Diamond X1600 Pro 512MB AGP. I would just delete the file, but I would like to have a backup in case I lose the disc I have this info saved on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:11 PM

go to control panel --> folder options --> veiw tab --> check : do not show hidden files and folders.
of course anyone can reverse this process so a third party encryption software is safest.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:44 PM

A trick I use to protect my financial, personal, and other files is to use a disk burning program (like Nero, or MagicISO) to put them all in a CD image (.iso) file. Then when I need to use them, I simply mount the image to a virtual disk drive (I use Alcolhol 120).

Not extremely secure, but most people wouldn't think to look for .iso files (and I even remove the file extension, it'll still mount) let alone think to mount them on a virtual drive.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:54 PM

I'd suggest putting it on a thumb drive (they're cheap) and keeping it in your pocket for security and ready access.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

For extra security, put the drive in a coin purse or something in your pocket. I've fallen asleep in a chair and lost two drives that way :flowers: .

Another idea: burn the information to a disk or thumb drive and keep it in a safety deposit box.

Yet another idea related to caperdog's: encrypt the files and then protect the encrypted files with a password.

Orange blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:24 AM

Thanks everyone, can anyone recommend a good encryption program? Checking in control panel solved the immediate problem, but I'd still like to make it more secure. As to thumb drives, well, I'm lucky if I can remember where I put my thumbs, let alone a thumb drive. ;)

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:34 AM

I found this -

[*]Cryptainer LE - A really simple to use encryption tool that creates an invisible, password protected folder on your hard drive or other media. Free version limited to 25MB. "Cryptainer LE's encryption works with all 32 bit versions of Microsoft Windows (95/98/ME/2000/XP/2003 Server) and with all known file types." - Rimmer

listed here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html which is a good topic to peruse for good free software.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 gkazule

gkazule
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:46 AM

Awesome, thanks

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

Another way to protect your files is to put them in a compressed form (.rar) then password protect it, then simply change the extension of the file name.

It's more effective if you use a password longer than 25 characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users