Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Detection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alexlht

alexlht

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

Hi, I am having problem with my USB Ports. It can detect every old hardware that it has auto installed but recently it does not detect my new webcam and mp3 player when i plug them in. But the power is running perfectly alright. What should I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

do you mean you can plug your usb printer in ,turn it on and it works fine, turn it off and plug your mp3 player in to the same port and then turn it on and it will not be recognized. make sure these things are removed properly (safely remove hardware) and if they were not you may have to uninstall then re-install the software
for these devices.

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

Plug in the USB devices to your computer, wait about 30 seconds to see if Windows will Autodetect the device and attempt to Autoplay them. You should hear an audible sound once the device is plugged in to indicate that Windows XP recognizes it.

If you hear no audible sounds, no Autodetect and no Autoplay, check out the Device Manager.

| Start >> right-click My Computer >> Manage >> Device Manager |

-OR-

| Start >> Run >> devmgmt.msc |

Once you have the Device Manager open, you want to first run a Scan for hardware changes by doing the following (from within the right hand pane of Device Manager):

| right-click the Local Machine icon (computer at top of hardware tree, right-hand pane of Device Manager) >> Scan for hardware changes |

After the scan completes, highlight the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch of the hardware tree. You're looking for devices detected that do not have or have incorrect drivers installed. This will be indicated by a yellow circle containing a white question mark. For any trouble devices, right-click and choose Uninstall.

Repeat the Scan for hardware changes, hopefully the Found New Hardware wizard will pop up, which you can follow to attempt to reinstall the drivers for the device. If it is Plug and Play (PnP) Windows should be able to automatically install the appropriate driver. If you have the CD-ROM containing the device drivers, pop it in when prompted via the Wizard. Or download the latest device driver from the manufacturer's website and save it to your desktop; install the driver from your desktop via the Wizard.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:22 PM

Well...I think I would simply uninstall the USB controller, reboot, and let XP set it up again.

Then I would try the new devices, one at a time. If all devices are now detected, you are golden.

Louis

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

The original post is almost a year old. What's the point now in responding to it?
X

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

Well...I responded because it showed up on my screen as a new post.

I don't normally look at the dates of the originals (or any other), but I suppose I'll start doing so now :thumbsup:.

Thanks for the heads up!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users