Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access My Computer Over Internet

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:00 AM

I cannot access server applications on this computer via the internet. Server applications work fine and are accessible when installed on a different computer. They run properly on this computer - localhost. If I try to access using the IP address from another computer .... can't do it.

This is a bit of a continuing saga. I have a new HP Pavillion running Media Center. It has Norton antivirus installed. The Norton Personal Firewall has been turned off. (Topic: No Ping Response On Media Center - it was not allowing LAN to work.)

This computer is connected to the internet via a Linksys wireless g router. Internet connection is fine. I'm submitting this from the computer with the problem. Now my LAN works fine. I have no problem connecting to resources on my other home computer and it connects to this one. The other computer is running XP Pro and is wired by cable to the router. It is not running Norton.

This computer is running IIS and Apache Tomcat. Tomcat is reached through port 8080. Default for IIS is port 80. I can run both on this computer using "localhost" and "localhost:8080". I cannot reach either via internet using IP address from another computer. Apache apps are running on the other computer as well, and can be reached without any problem.

I don't suspect that the router is the problem. Norton has a history of producing problems. Maybe that has something to do with it; but personal firewall is off and the LAN (Microsoft workgroups stuff) works fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:34 AM

Perhaps this alternative provides an easier place to start. The problem above probably has something to do with details of my setup that I haven't figured out are involved, so my explanation probably doesn't have sufficient information to get advice.

Again, I'll mention that I'm new at this. Lot's of LAN stuff is pretty easy to set up, and I've had a friend who helped me to get started. Knowing that might make it easier to respond to this. I may be failing at something basic.

So, speaking of basic; the tutorial on IP Addresses tells me that, "There are also blocks of IP addresses that are set aside for internal private use for computers not directly connected to the Internet. These IP addresses are not supposed to be routed through the Internet, and most service providers will block the attempt to do so."

OK, so when I CAN run a server ap. on my old computer from my new one, using 192.168.x.xxx, I guess that's only because these two computers are on the same LAN. Apparently (although I haven't tried because these are the two computers I have access to at the moment), no one else outside my LAN can do that.

1. I can run server aps on my old computer from my new one using 192.168.x.xxx. The old computer is running XP Pro and is hard-wired to my router. I cannot run server aps on my new computer from my new one using 192.168.x.xxx. The new computer is running XP Media Center, Norton anti-virus (with Personal Firewall turned off), and is connected to the internet via wireless g with WPA2. It doesn't appear to me that WPA2 has anything to do with the problem This seems to do its job in a way that doesn't interfer with anything.

2. So how can I open up my system so that server aps are available generally over the internet? I've heard something about using the router's IP? Or my modem's IP? Port forwarding to my computer?

Edited by Roger F. Gay, 30 December 2006 - 04:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users