Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Last Resort

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bill L

Bill L

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:46 AM

Ok not to good with all computer stuff but I get by. Anyway I figured I post here as a last resort. I got a computer from someone I know. Told me it had PLENTY of space available. The problem is I keep getting low disk space errors. Im running Windows XP the computer from what I know looks like it was divided. On my C drive it says 8.47 Used and 5.24 Free BUT on the F Drive it says 2.17 GB used and 72.3 GB Free. Im assuming 72.3 GB fress is a lot of space. Someone told me I could removed the partition but its dangerous. However Im about a week a way from throwing this in the garbage. I cant run programs.......DL music or pics from camera beacuse all the low disk space errors. Anyone have ANY advice? if removing the partition is something that COULD be done im wlling to try it because I cant go on using the computer like this, ANY advice? Anything you could suggest I try or do at this point?

Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:19 PM

just tell your programs to use the f drive. should be in preferences or options.
alternately format and start again or there are programs that can repartition with no harm(iffy) like partition magic.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:19 PM

You didn't tell us what brand of computer you have, but it may quite possibly be that the C: drive contains the operating system and applications, and the D: drive was designed for file storage (which is very reasonable). When precisely do you get the low disk space errors? Does this happen if you download and save files to the D: drive?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

basically it happens whenever I try to do anything. If I try and download pics or even when I visit websites. It tells me to clean files which I do but that only helps for a few mins. btw its a Dell computer

#5 Dizzybro

Dizzybro

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

its not ur amount of memory, thats ur ram talking. buy more

#6 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:17 PM

How do I check to see how much RAM I have on this computer?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,001 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:24 PM

Here is nice little program that will tell you all about your system and more.
http://www.gtopala.com/

You can let Crucial check your memory and they will tell you what will work in your computer.
http://www.crucial.com/crucial/pvtcontent/...;memtype=CHOOSE

Edited by buddy215, 29 December 2006 - 07:27 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

I'm not sure it's partitioned. It would add up to an odd number and doesn't sound like a correct drive size. Are you sure you don't have an 80 gig hard drive and a 13 gig hard drive? Have you opened the case and counted?

And if you're getting "low disk space" messages, I'm not buying that it's a memory problem, though adding more memory never hurts.

Is it possible that this is an older computer that was converted from say, Windows 98 to XP, and then the second hard drive added for storage? Possibly, you have something incompatible with XP - unless your BIOS could be updated.

Just to see what space you have and what's using it, you could use Spacemonger. (This links to an older version - newer version isn't free.)

#9 Bill L

Bill L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:23 PM

Like I said in my first post Im not to good with computer stuff. However I think you are right, I was able to open cover for computer and I have 3 diffrent memory cards so I dont think its the memory. The EXACT message I get says thie.............

You are running very low on disk space, Disk space on local disk "C" to free up space on disk delete unnessary files

Think for the bucks I will try the Magic partition someone suggested. Cheaper than buying a new computer to start with

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users