Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Personal Firewall / Remote Access & File Sharing / Xp

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

I started out with help on Networking; topic "No Ping Response On Media Center"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76344/no-ping-response-on-media-center/

I couldn't get Remote Access or the LAN / file sharing to work. I'm running XP Media Center on one computer and XP Pro on another. The problem turned out to be Norton Personal Firewall. That's why I'm now posting here.

Everything works so long as Norton Personal Firewall is turned off. First question. I'm wondering if I should just leave it off. Windows defender is on. Maybe Norton Personal Firewall is just overkill. I suspect the idea behind having Norton installed (it came with the computer) is for antivirus protection.

I'm connected through a Linksys wireless G router and that has WPA2 security on. A friend of mine who knows more about this sort of thing than I do says i don't really need a firewall since I'm behind NAT. Well, ok; but this is a portable computer and I expect to be going places with it ... connecting to networks in different ways.

So, I'm thinking I should at least try to get this to work with Norton Personal Firewall on. HP (it's an HP computer) support girl told me that it's much more powerful than Windows Defender and they don't recommend turning it off.

I've gone into Norton's Security and tried to configure the firewall so that this will work. I've tried including the IP address of each individual computer in Trusted Zones and when that didn't work, I ran the networking wizard. That produced more general information in the Trusted Zone listing; a higher level IP (not individual level), mask, that sort of thing. It still doesn't work.

An interesting point maybe. The computers' IP addresses are both xxx.xxx.1.xxx but the more general IP address is xxx.xxx.0 - it just looks odd, but that's what I see every time I use any automatic setting. I think it's listed somewhere in the router.

Well .... I guess I'm really just hoping that there's a Norton Personal Firewall expert around who can give me some guidance on this. I even have a copy of the manual in PDF. As you can see from comments above, I've tried. But it still doesn't work with Personal Firewall on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:06 AM

OK never mind. Norton gave me another set of problems this morning, so I uninstalled Norton. I'll check bleepingcomputer reviews on antivirus protections later. Currently running Spybot etc. and I'm glad that I'm not being harassed all the time with messages, conflicts, and problems.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:47 AM

Is this issue solved?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users