Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CPUDummy

CPUDummy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:23 AM

My hard drive is partioned into two different drives, my C drive has 93 GB max on it, and my D drive has 93 GB max on it; how do I get the space from the D drive onto my C? Yes, I'm an idiot when it comes to these things; please laugh at me after helping ;).

Thanks much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:28 AM

Hey CPU Dummy welcome to BC. Don't worry everybody started out as an illiterate someday

I use a nifty program called Gparted, which you can download here You download it burn it on a cd and reboot with the CD in your cd station.Here you will the tutorial how to resize NFTS partitions

#3 CPUDummy

CPUDummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:39 AM

Thx much sir

#4 CPUDummy

CPUDummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:05 AM

Well I don't have any CDs at the moment I can write to, but I did find another program that resizes partitions. I freed up 70 gig of space, but it turns out that my D: partition is on another Hard Disk than my C: partition. So it will only let me redistribute the free space to other partitions on the same Hard Disk as the free space. Will your program allow me to move the unallocated space between Hard Disks or am I shafted?

FYI: I'm not sure if there's a difference between "hard drive" and "hard disk"; but the program used "hard disk" so I'm going with it.

Edited by CPUDummy, 29 December 2006 - 09:07 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:15 PM

It seems that you actually have TWO distinct hard drives on your computer, as opposed to two partitions on the SAME physical device. In this case, the space is physically determined by the size of each drive, and cannot be re-allocated between the two.
You can, though, move files between the two and re-organise the contents of each to free space on one or the other.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 CPUDummy

CPUDummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

It seems that you actually have TWO distinct hard drives on your computer, as opposed to two partitions on the SAME physical device. In this case, the space is physically determined by the size of each drive, and cannot be re-allocated between the two.
You can, though, move files between the two and re-organise the contents of each to free space on one or the other.
Regards,
John

Hate how the laptop advertised that it had a 200gb HD...didn't mention it was between two. Anyways, can I store and run programs on the D: drive? Like I use my C:. It says the file type is DATA for D: drive, so I assume i'd have to free up some space and then make a new parition?

#7 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:42 AM

Regards,
John

Hate how the laptop advertised that it had a 200gb HD...didn't mention it was between two. Anyways, can I store and run programs on the D: drive? Like I use my C:. It says the file type is DATA for D: drive, so I assume i'd have to free up some space and then make a new parition?

If C and D are the Said seperate HD's , Then yes, You can put whatever you want on D, Games, Music programs, Whatever you wish, doesnt' matter that its a seperate drive, still opens like normal, and in fact in some cases its better to put programs etc on a different drive, sot hat if your one drive weirds out, You don't get screwed over with having to redl or re do the files that you lost

Dont' quite get what you mean by the last part about hte partition though..

#8 CPUDummy

CPUDummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

Regards,
John

If C and D are the Said seperate HD's , Then yes, You can put whatever you want on D, Games, Music programs, Whatever you wish, doesnt' matter that its a seperate drive, still opens like normal, and in fact in some cases its better to put programs etc on a different drive, sot hat if your one drive weirds out, You don't get screwed over with having to redl or re do the files that you lost

Dont' quite get what you mean by the last part about hte partition though..

Ok I just installed a program on my D: drive and it worked fine; thanks for all the help fellas.

Edited by CPUDummy, 30 December 2006 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users