Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Xp Correctly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twcookies

twcookies

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:28 AM

Hi All,
I need to buy a new hard disk today and install Xp. Been a while since I've done that but I remember last time it asked me what sort of file system I wanted - FAT 32 etc etc - not really sure about that, any advice please? Also - do I need to format the disk first or will that get done as part of the install procedure??
Should I fully install all my cards - (network, firewire etc) before the install?
Thanks for any advice or links you may have.
twcookies

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:56 PM

First thing you're going to want to do is get windows installed, I always choose fat32 mainly because that's the way my disk is.

If this is a brand new hard disk, it will already be clean of everything and all you have to do is install windows on it, You can format it through the installation program but its not needed

If you can before you install, burn as many programs drivers etc onto a disk to ensure that you can have everything without having to connect to the internet, that's if you can

upon installing windows you're going ot want to activate the firewall, and avoid doing any internet activity until windows is fully upgraded and all your drivers from your motherboard, cd drives or whatever you have is installed

once everything is updated and installed then you can proceed to use the internet again, and use it wisely to get whatever you need.. AVG, A firewall, Etc..

I wouldn't recommned you check e-mail or anything utnil you have an AV going, a spyware/malware program going, a firewall up, Etc... only then I would do things like that
:thumbsup:

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

Format the drive with NTFS, it's a more modern filesystem that does a thing called journaling, what that means to you is that if you have an unexpected shutdown or reboot, you won't have chkdsk/scandisk popping up and checking the filesystem before the system will boot. NTFS also has much greater security options than FAT32, which basically has none.

You can do either a quick format or full format from within the XP setup, you might want to do a full format as a quick and dirty way to verify the integrity of your new hard disk.

Go ahead and install your other devices, if the XP setup doesn't auto-detect them you'll just have to install the drivers manually when setup completes.
Posted Image

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:05 AM

My computer is set up with the recovery files on a separate partition which is FAT, and the rest is on NTFS. Dell set it up that way.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Computer Lifeline

Computer Lifeline

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:52 PM

I always go with NTFS. It is secure and less prone to fragmentation. FAT32 is okay though and it is likely you won't notice any difference at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users