Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Receiving Fax's With Windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:17 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with SP 2 installed. My question is; does Windows XP have a fax capability built into it? If it does, how the heck do I find it?

Thanks for any help.

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:33 AM

Yes it does.
Go to All Programs/Accessories/Communications/Fax.

I use it all the time with my 'all in one' fax/printer/scanner,with no problems.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:39 AM

You can also find it under Start> Control panel> Printers and other hardware> Printers and Faxes> (set up faxes)

a shortcut can be placed in the startup folder once faxing is set up

the program works great, I would recommend it over comercially purchased programs for most people.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:43 AM

Hi TMacK, Thanks for the reply. I had already tried that because that's where I thought it was suppose to be, BUT, it doesn't say fax in there anywhere so that doesn't work.

Hi oldf@rt, Thanks for the reply. I had tried that too, BUT the only-thing in that folder is my HP all in one thingy.

Is there some place else that it might be lurking about?

Thanks,
♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:07 AM

In order to see the fax, you need to create or install it. Start> Control panel> Printers and other hardware> Printers and Faxes. Now click on the Help > Help and Support Center. On the left side about a third of the way down, you should see Faxing. Click on it to get to information about how to set up and use faxing.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:44 AM

In the left hand column is where the set up faxes is located.

under tools folder view general change from classic view to the view that has show common tasks or click the reset defaults button
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:40 PM

Sounds like your computer doesn't have Windows XP's built in fax program installed.
These steps sometimes work for XP Home:
Go to your Control panel/Add Remove Programs/click Add remove Windows Components.
In the Components list,select the Fax services check box and then click next.

The fax program installs,and if requested,insert your Windows XP CD and click OK

Don't have a retail Windows XP CD? Before assuming you're completely out of luck,tell the Wizard to look in this folder on your hard drive instead: C:\windows\i386\. (Some manufacturers hide it there.)

Click Finish when the installation is thru.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

Hi TMacK, Thanks for the reply. Hey, that last thing you said worked. So now I have it where I can find it, and turn it on. All I have to do now is figure out how to get it setup so that it will actually work, and so far I haven't been able to get it to do what it's supposed to do.

Thanks,
Wendy

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

Glad that worked.
So now you should be able to go All Programs/Accessories/Communications/Fax Console to summon the Fax Configuration Wizard.

Click the Next button,then fill out the information to appear on your cover page/click Next.
You only have to fill out a cover page once,altho you can add last minute changes.

Choose your fax modem from the list,click Enable Send and Enable Receive check boxes/Next.

Enter your fax number and business name into the TSID box/Next

Enter your fax number and business name into the CSID box/Next.

Choose your routing options (feel free to ignore this as the program automatically saves your faxes in its in box)/Next.

Confirm your choices/Finish.

Now you've installed your virtual fax machine.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 02:35 AM

Hi TMacK,

Thanks for all of your help. I think I finally got it done BUT when I get to the fax thing the only option is 'send fax'. How do I get the fax console to show up?

Thanks,
Wendy

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

So when you went to the Windows Component of Add/Remove Programs and selected the Fax Services check box,then Next,The Windows Component Wizard should have taken care of the rest.

Have a look at This Micro$oft article titled Faxing in Windows XP.

Good Luck with this Wendy K. Walker
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:17 PM

Until you are completely finished with the issues in This post,please do not make any more changes to your computer.
It could affect the work that HijackThis group are trying to do for you.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:29 AM

Hi TMacK, "Happy New Year!" Yeah I think you're right. Heck for some reason my system started freezing up while I was trying to follow your instructions to get my fax lined up.

It happened like four times in a row but it didn't happen at the same place each time. I'll leave this fax thing alone until I complete the HJT thing.

Thanks again,
Wendy

#14 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

Good plan and good luck with the HijackThis analysis.

New Years Greetings to you also!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users