Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This Right?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 adamf11

adamf11

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:16 AM

Hello I am having a problem with my computer, when running cod2 I should be getting 125 FPS constant but I am getting spikes of like 20 FPS out of nowhere, Here are my specs.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ S939 CPU
2GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
160GB SATA HD
Evga GeForce 7950GT KO Superclocked
480w Power Supply.

I have the latest drivers for my video card, is it possible my power supply is not holding up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:24 AM

What make and model is you PSU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 adamf11

adamf11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

It is a LOGISYS 480watts SATA Cable power supply, It came with my case.

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:16 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130066

if that is your vid card, then I doubt its a power problem at all, as hte minimum is 400 watts, However, with the overclocking it might've jumped over that, Whos' to say

Have you updated your drivers completely and fully as of recently? is Vsync off, Etc..

#5 adamf11

adamf11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:01 PM

Yes that is it, Yes I have gotten the latest drivers, 93.71 I think it is. What is Vsync?

#6 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

vsync is under performance options in yoru video card settings, while I am not sure what exactly it does, I knwo that it does lower FPS in many games

just right click go to your video card and click the analog

go to performance

find it, and turn it off

turn off the application controlled setting in order to be able to do it, and hten just turn it off

#7 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:46 AM

I think that vsync is something that synchronizes the refresh rate of your monitor and video card or something like that. If vsync is off, a game will render a scene whenever it can despite refresh rates and with it on, your system will wait for a scene to render completely before displaying it.

Without the vsync, you can get the 'tearing' in games, where it looks like the top half of the monitor renders a scene while the bottom half seems to hang. 'Vsync off' can get higher framerates, but 'Vsync on' will give you the better, more constant visual performance.

With you system and video card, I'm pretty sure this isn't the cause of your framerate spikes.

It could possibly be a virus, or possibly an internal game problem. Have you tried it with other games?

#8 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:59 AM

every game that I have known who is really into it has had vsync off, Not starting an arguement but, That's the way its' worked, I have found no immediate or long term problesm of having vsync off, it actually in some cases helps your gameplay more than harming if at all, That's just my perspective,

I do agree however, that it is not the cause of the problems, Because that's just not the way vsync is, But it will help up your framerate and gameplay a lot more, Never seen a bad side effect of having it off, And Ive been playing almost every game that comes out

personally if you framerate is spiking, its either you have stuff going in the background to cause it, ie programs like iunno music players, MSN, ICQ whatever, anything that could take enough memory to cause a spike

Maybe its something to do with teh way your game is setup, if its too big for your monitor to support, Or too graphical or whatever, It can and will cause spikes in Performance, because your computer just can't handle certain areas or whatever

CoD2 isn't that grahpical, (if I remember correctly) so it probably has something to do with the size of the maps, Size of your resolution, or maybe your video card not being able to handle certain scenes

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:15 AM

Hello I am having a problem with my computer, when running cod2 I should be getting 125 FPS constant but I am getting spikes of like 20 FPS out of nowhere,

Does this mean it is running fine (at 125 fps) and then dropping for a while down to 20 fps?

If so it has nothing to do with the power supply (insufficient power causes instability, not loss of performance). Most likely it is something else in the background that does something, eating up lots or recourses and so slowing down your PC. Did you install anything just before this started?

Edited by Mr Alpha, 30 December 2006 - 07:16 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users