Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardrive Partitioning

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:14 PM

I got a nice new lappy and the 60 gig hardrive is partitoned into two of about 26 gigs each. I would like to merge these two hardrive. Their is no info on the second partition and I have no use for a second partiton I would just like everything to be one. Is their a way to do this easily?

Computer is an Acer Aspire 5043 running Windows XP Home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:31 AM

There is an advantage to having two partitions, if you keep you OS and other window application like Office on one partition and all of you other files on the other it's very simple you reinstall your OS if it gets buggy. This way you don't have to go back and reinstall all of you other programs or files. The only way you'll loose the information on the second partition would be if the hdd died.

If your issue is a need for more hdd space then you might consider installing an external hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:23 AM

Ok well if I put the My Documents on the second partition is their a way in the windows settings to link the my documents folder their? So that example when I am in Word and I want to open something and I click on the My documents tab it opens that folder?

#4 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:30 PM

redirecting the My Docs folder is pretty easy. Right click on the My docs folder and go to properties. There should be a Target tab at the top. Click the move button to select the folder on the other partition.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:36 PM

I knew it would be something so simple... but when you don't know where it is...

Thanks

Edited by Klinkaroo, 29 December 2006 - 06:36 PM.

#6 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:37 PM

I knew it would be something so simple... but when you don't know where it is...

Thanks

Exactly, I only found that setting looking over someone's shoulder when they were fixing a Terminal services My Docs problem.

Anyway, glad to help. Stuff like this is hard to find documentation on I find

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users