Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Trendmicro Housecall D/l

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:38 PM

First off,I don't know if I really need an OnLine Scanner,but thought I'd give it a try.
I downloaded the HouseCall-Europe that uses Java as I assumed it is Firefox friendly.
It went thru the three steps of scanning then the report just said an error prevented it from disclosing it's findings(or something along that line...)

Today I was going to run it again,but all housecall-EU.6 was ,was an unusable folder.
There was nothing on my desktop,no new program installed.

Had to go into Safe Mode to delete it.

So I guess my question is,with what I already have,do I really need it?
And....what the heck could I have done wrong with the download? :thumbsup:
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

Hello TMacK:

I've almost always have had problems with the Housecall online scanner. It has worked to completion for me only once. I have never gotten it to work with Firefox, and I made sure I was using the Firefox version. I had to resort to IE, and even then it worked for me only once.

By the way, you cannot run the program from the download file. You have to run it each time from the browser. That is the case with all on-line scanners.

I'm going to try out the Avant browser. I've read that it does work with Active X and that it is more secure the IE. It might be that the "IE only scanners" will work with Avant.

The on-line scanners are like a second opinion. I have found that they will find things that slip past what is installed on your computer.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:12 PM

I have also had problems lately with Trend's online scan, both in Firefox & IE. Try any one of these:

Bitdefender Free Online Virus Scan

F-Secure Online Scanner

Windows Live OneCare Safety Scan

You will need to use IE for them, or the IE Tab Extension in Firefox, if you have it.

Two more you could try if you like:

McAfee Stinger

Dr. Web Cure It w/Instructions

Neither of these require an install & are useful to run every once in awhile.

#4 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:26 AM

Thanx for your replies Orange Blossom and hillbillygreek.

So Trends Housecall OnLine Scanner is not fool proof...and I am not willing to use IE just to run an OnLine scanner.

By the way, you cannot run the program from the download file. You have to run it each time from the browser. That is the case with all on-line scanners.

So I may as well delete Windows Live OneCare Safety Scan from my computer as it won't run again either!

I appreciate all the links hillbillygreek,but is there not a Firefox friendly OnLine scanner available?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:39 PM

The only one that works in Firefox, that I know of at least, is the Trend. All of the others that I listed use IE because they use active x. Firefox does not use active x, except in cases where you can install an active x plugin such as the one for Yahoo which will give you the abilty to watch videos from Yahoo News, listen to Yahoo Music, etc..

Since you do not want to run IE for scans, your best bet would be to use the Mcafee & Dr. Web which I mentioned above. I also remembered Bit Defender has a free on-demand scanner that you can also try for a second opinion:

BitDefender Free

There are, however, online scans that use multiple engines to scan a single file you may think is suspicious. You upload the file & they scan it & post back results. Just remember, they aren't 100% reliable & have been known to produce a false positive.

http://virusscan.jotti.org

http://www.virustotal.com

These are single engine scanners: (run somewhat faster)

http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

http://www.drweb.com/online/

You can use these in Firefox.

#6 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

Thanx for the links hillbillygreek.