Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Good Free Address Book Program

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:54 PM

I'd like to get my wife a program to replace her address book (with mailing address's, not soley email address's). I'd like a free program, one that she could print labels from for envelopes and whatnot. I've checked the freeware apps of this forum and came up empty handed. Searching online has only found programs where they want money. Does anyone know of a good free address book program?

I've tried to use outlook express, but was unable to get it to retrieve her email. It kept telling me password rejected, and I know it's the right password, as I typed it in maybe 20 times (and she even typed it in too!). After 15 minutes I broke down and actually read the help file :trumpet: . After another 20 minutes, I broke down again and read the Yahoo help file :cool: (she's got yahoo email). After another 20 minutes, I broke down and called both programs a few "colorful sentance enhancers" :flowers: :thumbsup: .

If I can get outlook express to work, great. If I could get a free, stand alone program that just does address's, even better! I would very much like a program that will let me input address's and then print them to a label for mailing envelopes and whatnot.

Thanks in advance! :inlove:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:29 PM

I have used Thunderbird for quite a while now.
It's address book is pretty extensive...you can enter the contacts home address,fax,home and cel numbers,pager number,nickname and business information.

You can print cards from the address book,but thats about as good as it gets.

BTW,I'm still luvin my sig! :thumbsup:

Edited by TMacK, 28 December 2006 - 04:33 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:01 AM

I believe if you can export the address book with the fields intact - you'll be able to import them (by field) into a word processing or spreadsheet program (such as the one in OpenOffice).

I did this once (a long time ago) for my wife but have forgotten exactly how (other than I was using MS Office at the time).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:50 AM

Have you googled address book free? :thumbsup: Take a look at this one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:14 AM

I have used Thunderbird for quite a while now.
It's address book is pretty extensive...you can enter the contacts home address,fax,home and cel numbers,pager number,nickname and business information.

You can print cards from the address book,but thats about as good as it gets.

BTW,I'm still luvin my sig! :flowers:

Whoot! Your sig is still lookin' great!

Have you googled address book free? :trumpet: Take a look at this one.

Of course I googled it! Well, ok.....so maybe I forgot to type in "free".....minor technicality I assure you! :inlove:

Have you used that one dc3? I'm just wondering if you can print from it.....it's a feature the wife wants for mailing xmas cards and whatnot......bah-humbug :cool:

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll have to give them a whirl when I get home (I can't install squat while I'm at work!). :thumbsup:

Edited by stevealmighty, 29 December 2006 - 07:16 AM.

War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:00 AM

Another option if you have Excel. Create an address book in Excel, then use mail merge in Word to create the address labels. You have to type in fields for this to work. I haven't done this for a LONG time, so I can't provide better specifics.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:28 AM

I have been test driving this one for a few weeks. I like the interface. I have not tried printing labels yet. Give me week or so and I will have my dot matrix backup with continuous feed labels and I will let you know.

EssentialPIM Free

To run EssentialPIM Portable from your USB Memory drive, download either the ZIP file and simply unzip it onto your flash drive and run EssentialPIM.exe or a self-installing executable for U3 flash drives, which will guide you through the installation process of the program to your removable media.
Non-Intrusive Install

EssentialPIM contains one EXE file and one uninstall stub. No DLLs are installed and nothing is copied to the Windows, System or any other special folders. EssentialPIM is designed to intrude on your system as little as possible.
System requirements

* Windows 98/Me/NT/2003/XP
* 32MB of RAM or more
* 10 MB of free hard drive space

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users