Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Asyuris

Asyuris

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:39 PM

Is there somewhere or something that sets a time limit of internet non use that disconnects the wireless router. I just received a new computer that is using a Belkin wireless USB port receiver that was used on my old computer with no problem. With this new machine, after about 5 to 10 minutes of no internet use, I lose connection. This is not happening on my laptop (wireless connection) and my son's computer; just this new one. Is there an adjustment to determine non-use time out? Thanks.

BTW I am using a HP Pavilion a1600n machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:09 AM

It could be that the power settings in the new computer are shutting off the wireless card to save power. Check the power settings in Control Panel.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Asyuris

Asyuris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:42 PM

I turned off all the Power Saving options that are in the Control Panel but to no avail. It is still timing out after a certain amount of time. I used this Belkin Wireless G USB receiver on my old machine (and am usiing another on a different computer) both with no problems like this. It has to be something with this computer. This is not really a major problem, just a real annoyance!!

#4 Asyuris

Asyuris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:19 PM

Well.....after sometime looking around, researching on the net and experimenting, I found the culprit. It seems the Belkin Wireless Utility program that came with the receiver was in conflict with Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) program. That program was overriding the manufacturer's program after a certain amount of time. All I had to do was disable the program and setup Belkin's program for seciurity and I have been running now for two hours with no time-outs and loss connections where before it would bump me off in 10 munites of no Internet usage.
Maybe this was problem was given to me in order that it may help someone else now or down the road if they have this same one.
Everyone have a great, Blessed, and happy New Year.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:58 PM

Thanks Asyuris! That's the true spirit of the online communities!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 cyberbot

cyberbot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Well i can tell you the problem
go log into 192.168.2.1 its the login of all wirless ,
and it ask for username and password

Username is Admin

Password is password

and log there , and then go to advanced setting and then change the Limite of internet put it to unlimite
and here you go

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2007 - 11:47 AM

Well i can tell you the problem
go log into 192.168.2.1 its the login of all wirless ,
and it ask for username and password

Username is Admin

Password is password

and log there , and then go to advanced setting and then change the Limite of internet put it to unlimite
and here you go

Does Belkin use 192.168.2.1 as it's default? If so, I'll have to add it to my list of default IP addresses. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users