Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Majorgeeks.com

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nat

nat

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:48 PM

I would like to get some info on opinions/feedback/info/security on majorgeeks.com.

The reason is because I have often used their site for downloads and have had quite a few spyware etc problems.

For instance, I was just browsing their files and under "covert Operations", I saw that 007 Spy Software was listed, which is of concern as my Spybot S&D found it to be on my computer with 6 entries in Windows\system32, the registry, and Program directorSpybot removed this yesterday, and today I downloaded from majorgeeks, and lo and behold, there it was again.

Additionally, when clicking within majorgeeks, 2 of the same tabs open.

Until I know more, I am staying well away from their site.

If majorgeeks is bad, and you don't have it listed, it might well be worth posting.

If it's not bad, then I apologise.
Anyway, thanks.
Nat

XP Professional FIrefox 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

007 Spy is surveillance software, commonly referred to as a keylogger, tho there are other functions to it as well. By definition it is spyware, but there are legitimate uses for it. An employer may want to use it to monitor their employees use of a computer, parents to monitor what their children are doing and married couples to see if their spouse is cheating on them over the internet, etc.

Spybot and other security programs will flag it but in this case it is for informational purposes. It is up to you to decide if it is unwanted software or not. In other words, you shouldn't always fix everything that a scanner finds. Some tools can be used for good or ill--if you have downloaded something and use it then it is not unwanted, even tho it can be used for evil. Criminals use keyloggers to steal passwords and other sensitive info. That's obviously unwanted.

So there is nothing wrong with MG offering such programs for download. If you check out their Covert Ops page, you will see that this is just a category of software, it's all surveillance software. If you don't want to use it to spy on others, don't download it.

Now if you found out about this software being installed on your system thru Spybot, it probably means someone you know or has access to your PC installed it to spy on you. The cybercriminals will usually use much more sophisticated and hard to remove software. But I can tell you MG didn't stealth install it.

Do you own the computer? If it belongs to a school or business, they have a right to use such software, whether it is wanted by you or not. If you remove it you could get in trouble. Since we respect those rights, if this is the case with you we won't be able to help you remove it.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 nat

nat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the reply and info.

This computer is my home one, and no-one else has access. Is there anyway that my computer was accessed remotley to to do this ?

Thanks

XP Professional FIrefox 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users