Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Constantly Crashing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dg1279

dg1279

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

My friend has a Hewlett Packard Desktop Computer which is approximately 18 months old I started the Computer and was confronted with a Window stating the folowing, your computer has recovered from a serious error. Iwas giving the option of sending an error report to Microsoft. Isent it. The computer is Windows XP SP 2 Iwent to the Microsoft update site but the computer crashed. The computer is configured for Automatic updates. I then went to the Control Panel and Clicked on Security and was confronted with the following, Due to an unidentified problem windows cannot displaywindowsFirewall settings. Ithen Clicked on to the Icon directly beneath Security which is Firewall and received the exact same message I then was fortunate to have enough tome to Download A V G Anti-Virus Free. Istarted a scan and found 24 infections before the computer crashed. I The computer is then downloaded A Squared which is good at detecting and removing Trojans. The scan detected 230 infections before the computer crashed. To download the programs mentioned i had to do it via BT as Internet Explorer would not connect. The computer has IE6 I then turned off the computer for 30 minutes and tried again via SAFE MODE but again the computer crashed The computer is used by a family who have no knowledge of computer security Through a period of 8 hours Literally the computer would crash after 2 Minutes of Use.Every time the computer crashed or i turned the computer off and then on the Previously mentioned Error message would appear and this is constant no matter if i do or do not send the Error Report to Microsoft..The MAXIMUM amount of time i had at the computer before it crashed was 2 MINUTES. My Definition of CRASH with the computer in question is that the Computer would suddenly stop and then restart on it's own. The computer has Windows xp Professional pre-installed with the Media Centre for Home User.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:55 PM

You could try using the Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows.

It allows you to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment (screen-shot) and is loaded with antivirus and other system recovery and generally useful tools (list of tools). The website includes a brief summary of how UBD4Win can be used to recover from a virus attack (see FAQ)

It also allows you to access all NTFS, FAT, FAT16, and FAT32 volumes and durn CD's and DVD's. This means that under a worst-case scenario, you will still be able to recover important files and information.

The system requirements are as follows:
  • 100Mhz CPU
  • 128Mb RAM
  • 500Mb Hard drive with at least 100Mb free
  • 2Mb VGA graphics card
  • Keyboard and Mouse
I encourage you to visit the UBD4Win website and read more about it.

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:37 PM

Right click My Computer then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab then the Settings button under Startup and Recovery. Uncheck Automatically restart under System Failure. This should stop the rebooting and allow the display of the Blue screen Of Death (BSOD) that will contain any error information.

Once the rebooting is stopped do the following.

Read this: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer

Then post a Hijack This log here: HijackThis Logs and Analysis

You can download HijackThis on a different computer then transfer it to a floppy disk to place in on the problem computer.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users