Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(d:) Drive Malfunction

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 perplexed22

perplexed22

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:03 PM

Hi, I've already been getting some help in another forum, but it was suggested that I post here as a hardware issue.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/76114/d-drive-confusion/

I know it's not a problem of copyright or burned CDs because 1. the music CD has already been put on a laptop and 2. it isn't burned.

I can load a CD with Microsoft Word files, but not a music CD or a game CD.

I'm not sure what else to say to help, but do you think my drive needs to be replaced?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

You wrote:

I can load a CD with Microsoft Word files, but not a music CD or a game CD.

1. Is it fair to say that you're having problems playing original discs, but not burned discs? If not, can you re-elaborate on it some more.

A test for you test your drive:

To Burn: This is important for you to do, because if it'll burn, then you have a software problem.
Download DeepBurner (FREE) http://www.deepburner.com and install it and try to burn something. Anything, just burn. If possible, burn to a cd and a dvd if you have them available.

If you can burn to discs, then the burner(hardware) isn't the main suspect.
If you can't burn anything, then you may need to uninstall your multimedia software, clean your registry, and reinstall software over, (sometimes that means installing different software)

If it's a software issue, there are a few programs that I can tell you right away that are on the "don't even use" list..... that I believe is contributing to many hardware/software problems. As a matter of fact, many people have agreed that certain name brand softwares we all use seems to be tied in this somehow. And I agree, based on the statistics and the analysis performed so far.

Also, what programs open (or try to) when you insert music discs, if any?

#3 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

I don't own any blank CDs or DVDs to burn, so I can't burn anything.

Nothing opens when I put in a music disc. The drive just makes a few attempt sounds and then stops. Before a little screen would pop up and say, "What do you want to do with this?" and then there was the list of options, like iTunes, RealPlayer, just view in folder, etc. But now, nothing pops up. And yes, I think it is fair to say that original CDs do not seem to be working.

Sorry if this didn't help you at all

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:14 AM

First question that comes to mind, Does your D drive or whatever your CD rom is listed under actually change names when you put a CD in? If you go into my computer does it say like "Windows CD" or whatever, Or does it just list the drive

If it is not listing the name of the Disc, Then this may in fact be a laser problem, Or an issue with the way the disc drive is connected to your mobo,

Check your connections.. Ensure that everything is connected right, And that the wires are not cut, Frayed or anything

How old is the drive itself? not that old? REally old? if its really old, Maybe the lans is dirty , Or maybe something is malfunctioning in the drive itself

Ill await your response, as tha'ts all the material I can think of for hte moment :thumbsup:

#5 perplexed22

perplexed22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:30 PM

Thanks for the reply, but it might be awhile before I can respond.

Yes, the name of the drive changes.
No, the computer is from 2005 and all the wires are working.

But I still haven't tested the CD, so I don't know on that part.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:59 AM

Thanks for the reply, but it might be awhile before I can respond.

Yes, the name of the drive changes.
No, the computer is from 2005 and all the wires are working.

But I still haven't tested the CD, so I don't know on that part.

For starters..... since you don't own and blank cd's/dvd's......... do so. They're important to what you plan on doing and is important in helping with future issues with yor burner (if you should have them).

Without any blank discs at all, it's fair to say that it will be almost impossible to genuinely help you.

A quote from you perplexed22:

And yes, I think it is fair to say that original CDs do not seem to be working.

I believe I know what may be causing this, but you'll need to get some blank discs.

[Added Info]
Make sure to get re-writables, whether cd's and (or) dvd's. Get them,, and they'll save you a ton of money that you WILL otherwise waste. Trust me.

Edited by Walkman, 11 January 2007 - 06:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users