Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp Randomly Restarting...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 canbato

canbato

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:02 AM

My computer suddenly restarts. I sent an error message to *the super special awesome windows help system* but it didn't help me at all.

http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/Respons...52-736aa6bdcd90

It happens just randomly sometimes, sometimes when i'm opening a program.

Any idea as to how I can get more information or solvve the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 motherboard

motherboard

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:28 AM

Maybe it your psu or power supply, try leaving it on for a while letting it restart for about 5 mins sometimes as they reset when they're cold.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:34 AM

The picture you posted says it's a device driver. The first place to check is in Device Manager for any red x's or yellow !'s. Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

If that doesn't work, then we'll need more info on the error message. There's a mini-guide here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 canbato

canbato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:42 PM

Red 'X' on Multimedia Audio Controller
Yellow circle with a black '!' on RAID Controller...

Now what do I do? I have no idea what these are for... but I have been having Audio problems, actually... once the sounds weirded out before the comp froze.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by canbato, 28 December 2006 - 06:43 PM.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:03 PM

What kind of computer is this? Is it shop-built or home-built? The RAID controller would only be used if you had a RAID system, and you obviously do not, or it wouldn't be working. Depending on where you got your computer, the drivers could be installed, but it would be a good idea to disable the RAID controller. Some computers have a jumper on the motherboard for this. It should be in your motherboard's manual.

As to the audio - are you using on-board audio or a separate audio card?

Chances are that your BIOS got set to default or something, which is what caused the problem.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:43 PM

Right click on both and disable them (if you're using RAID, only disable the Sound). Does this stop the BSOD's? If so, then you've found your culprit. Update those drivers and it should fix the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 canbato

canbato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:36 AM

Well, I'm not using raid. I disabled it. So far there's no problem but it usually takes a while.

I'll post again if it happens again.

#8 canbato

canbato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:56 PM

It happened again... So I guess that that wasn't the culprit.

I tried doing the debugging with the minidump and stuff, but when I click the link... it says 'Bad Request'.

So I need more help =/.

#9 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

What are you doing before this all happens, Are you checking your e-mail, Watching movies, listening to music, What? usually the first thing to look for is the trigger of this, And ask yourself if its really random at all, or if something in itself is triggering it

#10 canbato

canbato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

It happens when I open programs, listening to music...

Sometimes, if I close all of my programs and leave the computer on when I go to bed, when I get back it restarted already.

But yeah, when I open pretty much any program it might happen. But I don't see how that helps me...

#11 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:23 PM

well
If it happens when you open "X" program then you can just fix "X" but if its happening with any program at all, I would probably say its a problem wtih the windows installation itself, there might be a bug or something that is messing it up, My advice would be a clean install, however, there will be more advice to come, So don't jump to doing that yet :thumbsup:

Personally, Im not sure how you would go about finding out a problem of this magnitude without actually watching for errors etc..

Oh, I guess that reminds me, Have you checked your system log for what exactly teh error is?

#12 canbato

canbato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

I can't, I need help with that. (System log.)

#13 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:40 PM

right click my computer go to manage

event viewer and check each one of those to see if hteres anything pronounce in there, such as a certain program glitching out every time or whatever

Doubt you'll find anything but its worth the shot

#14 canbato

canbato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:13 AM

I didn't find anything by doing that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users