Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Links Sent In Email Open With Media Player

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 number2of9

number2of9

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:10 AM

When I click on a link that is included in an email, it either does nothing at all, or it tries to open with media player. I've already gone through the folder options and cannot find anything that doesn't appear to be correct.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:41 AM

1. Is it possible that the link is supposed to open a video file? which may open up the Windows Media Player?

2. Do you know who/where the files are coming from?

#3 number2of9

number2of9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:57 AM

They are definitley not media files. Anything I receive in an email that should take me to a specific web site opens media player and then I get an error message saying it cannot open it.
They are included in emails from various places/people.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:42 AM

1. Are you using an email program on your computer to retrieve your emails? Like Outlook Express?
2. Is your email address the one assigned by your isp?
3. Do you have a browser based email address you can use? If so, forward one of the emails to it, then try it with that account.

Note: The email account you test this with should be one that you can dispose of if needed.

#5 number2of9

number2of9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 09:26 AM

My problem is with Outlook Express. I went to the verizon home page and retrieved my emails there. Everything is normal on the emails opened there.
How do I fix Outlook Express? Is this a remnant of the virust burster virus that was recently cleaned from my computer?

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:59 PM

You wrote:

How do I fix Outlook Express?

Just stop using it. Since emails are coming from the Internet, all a person needs to do is just browse to that account, and read/send their emails. Ever since the early '90's, I've heard tremendous security and protection flaws with Outlook Express. And that's why I don't use it. Also, think about this for a minute:

Your email is sent to your isp (I'm assuming), then you use your program to get your email. The only problem I have with that is that you may not be really sure as to how well your isp handles spam and virus laced emails, then you download them and get infected.

Is this a remnant of the virust burster virus that was recently cleaned from my computer?

It very well could be. But still, no# 1. Stop using the email address your isp assigned to you. And no# 2. Stop using Outlook to read/send emails.

Even if you've cleaned your registry, you may still need it cleaned, but with different software. Try this one. It's FREE:

Eusing Registry Cleaner
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleane...try_cleaner.htm
Eusing registry cleaner is a fast and FREE, and most importantly, very good at cleaning out bad registry entries. Even if you use other registry cleaners, you should definitely add this one to your list.

Worse comes to worst, uninstall the WMP until you get the problem fixed.

#7 number2of9

number2of9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:26 PM

Thanks...appreciate it very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users