Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Touchpad Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rsd79

rsd79

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:20 AM

I have a synaptics touchpad and a Gateway MX3410 Laptop. Everytime I start the computer my Synaptics Pointing Device won't load. Therefore, my right-click button functions as a left-click and the left-click button functions as the right-click. This means that whenever I left-click an icon, it brings up the right-click menu. When I log in as user this happens but when I log in as admin the Synaptics pointing device does load at startup and my touchpad functions normally. I think this has something to do with the personal settings but I do not know how to access them. Any suggestions?
Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:19 AM

Go to Control Panel(switch to classic view)> Mouse to open the mouse properties. You should be able to change your settings in there (either by changing each button action assignment, or by swapping from 'left-' to 'right-handed'mouse... Hope that helped :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:52 AM

Download this free utility to find out where the Synaptics touchpad loads from: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

If it's loading from the HKCU key in your registry - then you'll have to add it to the HKLM key in the same place (then delete it from the HKCU key).

If it's loading from your Startup folder - then you'll have to move it to the Startup folder in the All Users profile from your user profile(you can use Windows Explorer to do this).

FYI - My Toshiba laptop has a Synaptics touchpad and it runs from the HKLM/.../Run key. If this is the case with your system - then the problem must lie elsewhere. Please let us know.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 rsd79

rsd79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:19 AM

I used the program that you suggested, usasma. The touchpad file did not show in any of the tabs of startup program so I went to the Gateway support site to download and reinstall the driver. During the setup process it asked me if I wanted to run the touchpad program at startup. It seems to be working fine right now. If anything goes wrong I will let you know. Thanks for your help JP and usasma.
Dustin Penner is the new Jaromir Jagr.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users