Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Halp! New Cd-rw Drive, Pci Error. No Clue On What To Do.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Flashheart

Flashheart

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:04 AM

So I got a new CD-RW drive cause my last one didn't work. So I put it in and everything, but upon rebooting my computer I get this message:

Error 1806: PCI/PnP Error! Resource conflict-PCI in slot01, Bus:02, Device:0A, Function:00

As far as I can get is to where the Windows screen comes up with that little bar and the green thing going back and forth. It freezes there.

Anyway I was following some online tutorial thing and they were going on about BIOS and PCI cards (thing I know nothing about :thumbsup: ). I decided to try to switch some stuff around in my computer (Moving something into another PCI slot, or so I think). Well it ended up making things worse.

When I put everything back my monitor didn't work. So I decided to fiddle around some more, this time with my graphics card (to fix the mointor). By this time I had put the old CD-RW drive back in, I was grasping at straws. It took a few times, and I actually have no clue what I did, but my monitor is back and my computer is working fine; except for, of course, my CD-RW drive, which is still broken. I am not sure if I am going to try to put the new drive in right away because of everything that happened.

But what I want to know, is how would I fix the original problem. The one involving PCI/PnP errors and BIOS.

What is BIOS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:56 AM

BIOS is basically the core of how the computer works in some ways

its used to tell the motherboard what's going ot power up first, and what basically overpowers what as far as drives and stuff goes

upon installing a brand new machine you always need to go into bios and set what you want to start up first

in my case I believe my CDrom drive starts up first in case I have some critical error that requires my computer ot be reformated via disk

DO NOT fiddle with bios unless you know what your'e doing or have a step by step guide of what you're doing

I do need ot ask this though
when you went to install your new CD RW drive, did you use the same cable that was in teh last one, and if so, did you remove it from your motherboard completely, because you might of screwed up something do with that

when installing new Hardware such as CD drives all it takes (if you're replacing the old one) is for you to attach the old cable to the new hd, Or replace it if its different in anyway, and attach it to the same spot on the motherboard, its quite simple acutally

when you went to put your CD drive in did you fiddle with any other settings at all? like did you accidentally maybe hit something or move something out of place, cause that might explain it
or is the cable you used wrong in anyway sense or whatever, because in all honesty, if you didnt' fiddle iwth anything and you installed it correctly you shouldnt' be getitng any errors at all , so something went screwy with when you were installing it

you might have tripped something you shouldnt' have or knocked something out of place

also

what did you do when you basically were fiddling around insdie, did you move your video card into a new slot? if so that might have screwed that up, as video cards require a certain slot to work, if its not the right speed of slot it wont' operate at 100% or stuff might happen, did you touch the ram? anyhting like that?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:35 AM

The BIOS carries instructions for how the different devices communicate across the motherboard.

In the case of the CD drive, it tells the signals where to go once they reach the motherboard (the drivers add to this mix - but that's beyond this topic right now). So, a problem with the CD drive isn't necessarily the drive itself - it can also be a problem with the motherboard.

The first step (IMO) would be to try another, known to be good, CD drive in the system. If it still isn't recognized - then the problem is with the mobo. This can be either a physical problem (damage, busted caps, etc) or can be a problem with the BIOS itself.

Since you don't want to substitute mobo's (that gets expensive), the next thing to try would be to reset your BIOS.

Unplug the system from the wall, crack open the case, and remove the battery from the board (it's usually a shiny thing about the size of a nickle). Leave it out for 30 minutes (now's a good time to run to WalMart and get a new one - you never know when they're gonna go. They run about $1.50 for 2 the last time I checked). Then put the battery back in and power up the system to see if the drive is detected.

If that doesn't work, then it may be time to flash the BIOS. That's a very dangerous process and should be avoided unless it's absolutely necessary - so let's wait to talk about it until you've done the other tests.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Flashheart

Flashheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:41 PM

Well I put the old CD-Drive back in, and it works to the point where I can eject the tray. The old CD drive doesn't read the discs properly, it just spits them out. So I still want to get my new one properly installed.

When I put the new CD drive in the first time all I did was take the cables from the old one and put them into the new one, and actually when I had turned my machine on (only having the monitor plugged in) everything was going fine. But upon trying to plug my keyboard in, it didn't work. So I thought maybe if I just restarted my keyboard would start working, and it did. But then I ran into that error:

Error 1806: PCI/PnP Error! Resource conflict-PCI in slot01, Bus:02, Device:0A, Function:00

So there was a point in time that the new CD drive was in and the computer was working, but when I tried to reboot to get my keyboard to work I end up getting that error.

I am apprehensive in going back inside my computer. My monitor is still a little shakey and has been spontaneously turning off to where I have to really push it in hard to get it to work. I also don't want to accidently fry my mobo, or do anything like that.

Also I never moved the slot of the video card. I am only 16 and a lot of this stuff I don't fully understand (though at the same time I am probably the only one in my house who understands it at all). I really just want to try to fix this using the least amount of money and complicated procedures.

#5 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:26 PM

Admittedly I didn't' learn anything about computers till I hit about.. 18 that's when I built my own from scratch and really took off on the learning curve so I can understand where your coming from

Have you tried using the cable that came with the CD drive

While I know this isn't the cause of the problem it could explain atleast part of why your old one didn't' work and why this one isn't functioning as planned

I personally can't see how plugging in your keyboard caused your CD drive to stop working, Theres gotta be more to it, as really they have like nothing to do with each other in some ways

More or less I think Id be leaning towards something on startup was what caused this, because, it booted up easily without a problem but something happened when you restarted to cause the error

Try using the cable that it came with, Just to ensure that the old one is not the thing at fault and ensure that everything is plugged in right

there is no way, (to my knowledge) that you can fry your computer by simply plugging in a new drive, however, I am sure that someone will tell me otherwise, Or whatever, My knowledge is not as indepth as most, But its getting there

Your old drive is probably more than likely having an issue with the laser, if you can put a CD in , but its just not reading it, something might be wrong with either the laser itself or the lens, maybe its scratched or dirty who knows

Can you explain your monitor issue maybe a little more indepth, As in what basically happened when this all changed, What did you maybe move out of place that caused this

You monitor issue might be related to your video card, I myself just had a recent flux in my monitor that caused me to basically have to clean out everything in my case and it works again, if you're monitor is refusing to turn on at all, it could either be your video card acting up, Or possibly something wrong with the power it is getting,

My last monitor had a problem whereby it just quit one day completely, and it would basically not turn on at all, I eventaully attuned this to the electron emitter in the back being on the fritz, or something messed up with the wires

While it is plausible that all of this might be linked to one problem, I think its more of separate incidents caused by varying things, DId you fiddle with your ram at all

Did you touch your video card or move it, Did you move anything out of the ordinary

And probably the simplest thing could be, Did you ground yourself before going in..lol...stupid question I know, But never know

If you moved your video card to a different slot that isn't as high capacity that is required then that might be the problems for the monitor,
and actually now that I'm thinking about it I think your error is moreso related tos something being moved in your computer to a slot that it shouldn't' be

take some time to read the manual on all your products such as your vid card, your motherboard etc, if you can, Look them up online if you don't have them, and ensure that everything is in slots that it should be

I have no doubt that you plugged in your CD drive correctly, Im moreso beginining to think that you might've fiddled with something and done something then.

see what you can come up with for responses, And then we'll see, Im going to put a premeditated guess forward though and assume usasma or someone with a higher knowledge may say simpler ways to find out what's wrong or fix it, but who knows :thumbsup:

#6 Flashheart

Flashheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:02 PM

Ok, I also think it's two seperate problems. I want to make sure my monitor is fixed, that is more important than the CD drive.

What is happening as of now with my Monitor is that when I turn my computer on the monitor, about 9/10 times, does not show anything. The monitor is plugged in because the light at the side of it is yellow. Now if I keep trying eventually the monitor does turn on, I am using it as I type. But it's a real ordeal to get it to turn on and I don't know why it doesn't most of the time.

The graphics card is in the right spot. I did take it out and then put it back in. I also did ground myself.

Edited by Flashheart, 28 December 2006 - 06:48 PM.

#7 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:32 PM

Next setp for the monitor

Check if its the monitor
or you card

If you have any freinds with their own computer, Bring it to their house and plug it into their computer

if it works then its your video card, which can be a little pricy depending how you are on hte cash situation

if it doesn't you know its hte monitior, in which case Im guessing some wire came lose in either the attachment to the video card or maybe in the electron emitter that powers every monitor, we'll see about that

tha'ts about hte best and easiest way to test it out, try that and come back and say how it went

#8 Flashheart

Flashheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

Opps.

Edited by Flashheart, 28 December 2006 - 06:48 PM.

#9 Flashheart

Flashheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:49 PM

I tested another monitor in my house and it to does the same thing. Goes yellow, etc.

But does that mean I need a whole new video card?

#10 Flashheart

Flashheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:34 PM

Well the monitor is working, or so it seems. I am going to retry installing the new CD drive. I will tell you how it goes.

Also I want to thank you all for your help so far. :thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

Be careful with the cables and the jumper settings on the drive(s). The old rule of thumb is that the drive that is jumpered as a Master goes on the far end of the cable - and the one that's jumpered as Slave goes on the middle connector.

I'd suggest that you shy away from Cable Select until this issue is solved.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:39 AM

if 2 monitors dont' work on the same video card, theres 2 things wrong, A something's messed with the card itself
or b somethings messed with teh connector on the card, Personally Id just say its the card, But Im not one to rush judgement

Although you have got it to work so keep it that way, but for future reference should anyhting happen to your monitor, Then you may be wise to invest in a new one entirely, And depending on what you actualyl do on your computer, it can cost next to nothing or a little bit more than that, I mean, if you just check e-mail listen ot music and all that, You can buy the cheapest card possible so long as you don't do anything that requires a good one

If you're an avid gamer like me, May cost a litlte more, but you don't need high end to get by at all, just something decent enough to do what you want

#13 Flashheart

Flashheart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:54 AM

Well I have the new CD-Drive in and working. So obviously I must have done something wrong the first time I tried to install it.

Now the monitor is still acting up. What I am wondering though, is why can I get to work sometimes? I am using the monitor right now, so does mean that maybe it's not the video card and something else?

Also I do play games (mainly World of Warcraft, WC3, and others) on my computer.

#14 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:57 AM

Ive had flare ups in monitor activites, I had it with my last one when one of the wires in it was failing

It may not be a DIRECT fault in your video card but its a fault none the less

especially if your second monitor wouldn't work either, That kind of ruined the whole monitor fault theory

I can't say for sure what it is, But Im thinking it might be a connector issue, Or somethign to do with the GPU in your card acting up, if anything,

If you can get it owrk without much trouble I wouldnt' worry about it just yet
just know that problesm like these tend to grow with time if the fault is great enough

just my 2 cents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users