Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Or Video Card?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kevin92

kevin92

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:49 PM

Hi, im looking to get this system, and I primarily will be using it for gaming, but also downloading music, watching movies too. I was wondering should I splurge on 4GB of ram, or go for the better video card, what do you think?

http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config...DIM9200_FEAT_E2

Edited by kevin92, 27 December 2006 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

i'm not terribly familiar with any of those video cards, but 2gb is plenty of ram. for what you're paying for the system, i'd recommend going cheap with the video card and buying one to install yourself. you could probably get it for cheaper than they're offering.

i don't know how well that would work out on a prebuilt dell, though.

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:38 PM

If you're using XP, your system basically won't use more than 2GB of RAM. Vista will be better at accessing larger sums of RAM I believe, but honestly for gaming you won't need it. Put it to the video card.
Posted Image

#4 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:30 AM

I'll be getting Vista when it comes out, because it comes with an upgrade coupon :thumbsup:

#5 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:03 AM

My opinion of dell itself is exceedingly low and Ill tell you why now..
because if anything goes terribly wrong with your computer you have to actually go back to them to get stuff to fix it

IE if your windows screws over and htey dont' send the disk out or they fail to send the motherboard CD out or whatever, you have to send it back to them to fix, Tha'ts the only issue Ive ever had with them other than their crappily built computers to begin with

just be warned if you receive your dell and it doesnt' come with a windows CD or a motherboard CD or anything like that that you're basically on your own if you break it or something happens, If you can't get support to fix it

first and foremost that you should know, nothing ever requires over 2 gigs of ram, as of yet, no programs are that heavily graphiced or anything to require that much hell 1 gig gets you by with ANYTHINg today, to be blatently honest, so go with the video card, and put some extra in there

Vista also isnt' really needed at htis time, There might be some security upgrades and all that compared to windows but the big reason IMO that microsoft is pushing it through is so that their products such as office and other things can stop getting ripped onto torrents and passed aorund like candy

honestly when I heard about vista and I heard that nothing would work right unless properly activated, I knew that was the reason they were pushing it through

windows XP could honestly last another decade if they could patch a little bit here and there when needed lol

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

I've got Vista RTM and I've got 4 gB of RAM - don't waste your money!!! Vista (like XP) stubbornly refuses to acknowledge all of the RAM (in the 32 bit versions). My system states that it has between 3.25 gB and 3.46 gB of RAM.

There is some concerns that the extra, unrecognized RAM may actually decrease performance. I haven't noticed it on my system tho'.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Hardcore

Hardcore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:50 AM

To run games such as Battlefield 2 I would strongly recommend 2GB Ram if your thinking about running it on high as smooth as possible, the only way to run Battlefield 2 on highest settings is with 2GB Ram,

~Hardcore

#8 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

My opinion of dell itself is exceedingly low and Ill tell you why now..
because if anything goes terribly wrong with your computer you have to actually go back to them to get stuff to fix it

IE if your windows screws over and they don't' send the disk out or they fail to send the motherboard CD out or whatever, you have to send it back to them to fix, That's the only issue Ive ever had with them other than their crappily built computers to begin with

just be warned if you receive your dell and it doesn't' come with a windows CD or a motherboard CD or anything like that that you're basically on your own if you break it or something happens, If you can't get support to fix it

first and foremost that you should know, nothing ever requires over 2 gigs of ram, as of yet, no programs are that heavily graphiced or anything to require that much, hell 1 gig gets you by with any thing today, to be blatantly honest, so go with the video card, and put some extra in there.

Vista also isn't' really needed at this time, There might be some security upgrades and all that compared to windows but the big reason IMO that Microsoft is pushing it through is so that their products such as office and other things can stop getting ripped onto torrents and passed around like candy.

honestly when I heard about vista and I heard that nothing would work right unless properly activated, I knew that was the reason they were pushing it through.

windows XP could honestly last another decade if they could patch a little bit here and there when needed. lol

DITTO!!!! :thumbsup:
thank you 'resp' , you saved me a bunch of typing. :flowers:
The only thing worse than Dell's quality is their service.
Both, just get worser and worser as time goes on.

I have several DEAD Dells in my shop, all less than two years old and all
freely given to me by their previous owners after replacing them with eMachines, HP's,
Compaq's , etc.

My best advise to all my customers is, "Buy anything you like, except a Dell".

good luck Y'all,
Shadow :trumpet:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#9 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

To run games such as Battlefield 2 I would strongly recommend 2GB Ram if your thinking about running it on high as smooth as possible, the only way to run Battlefield 2 on highest settings is with 2GB Ram,

~Hardcore

I run BF2142 on pretty high settings and Ionly have a gig, and my performance is a mazing, Not quite sure which is more demanding pretty sure 2142 is with graphics wise, just my 2 cents...

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:28 PM

I could add the the Battlefield series, or shooters in general, aren't the most memory hungry games out there. Going from 1GB to 2GB of memory in World of Warcraft does wonders for Ironforge. The difference between 1GB and 2GB in Supreme Commander is also pronounced.

Besides I wouldn't want to run Vista with less than 1GB of RAM, and 2GB does help.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 Hardcore

Hardcore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:46 PM

You would think BF2142 would take more power to run but a friend of mine says they run BF2142 better then BF2.

~Hardcore

#12 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:47 PM

As already said in this topic, 2gb is plenty. Just get the onboard video card and buy a 7950GT. It costs the same , sometimes less than, the 7900GS on dell. (7900 ((especially the GS)) for 300$ is a rip-off)

#13 kevin92

kevin92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:37 PM

The 7900 GS OC is on sale for $168.00 I'd like to get the 7950 GT OC but it's $300.00 is it worth it?

It's possible to just install one right, even though it's prebuilt? Anyone have any experience with dell where that's been a problem?

Edited by kevin92, 30 December 2006 - 07:43 PM.

#14 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

Ya should be. I got a graphics card for my dell yesterday and it works fine.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users