Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting Vhs Tapes To Dvd

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pitrevie

pitrevie

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:21 PM

I have a large number of VHS pre-recorded tapes that I wish to convert to DVD. Does anyone have experience of doing this? What hardware and software would you recommend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:30 PM

The easiest, fastest and least expensive way to do it would be to go to either a pawn shop or a retailer and buy a vhs to dvd recorder. I've seen them in pawn shops for less than $60.

Other than that cost, just buy your blank dvd's,, and you're good to go.

#3 pitrevie

pitrevie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for your reply, I should have mentioned I am based in Thailand and these days I dont even see a VHS player in the shops these days. My own VHS player finally gave up the ghost and I could not even get a replacement here. Luckily I had a friend who was getting rid of his so I have the facility to play them. Hence my reason for asking about capture cards.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:27 AM

All you need is a capture card. Then, simply hook up your VCR to your capture card, record the tapes to your hdd, then put them onto a DVD. Ok, so it's a little more involved than that...but that's it in a nutshell. I don't recommend getting a "cheap" capture card. You get what you pay for. The hauppage Wintv pvr-150 has had good reviews, and I know someone who has it and loves it.

If you don't want a hauppage card, then just get a capture card that has the ability to capture from an outside source (VCR, DVD player etc.). Ensure that it has the correct plugins for a VCR, or (obviously) it won't work. Also, make sure that it comes with it's own software to capture from different sources (I'm sure that most do though). Update the drivers for it when you get it too (might want to download the drivers before installing the card, this will save you from uninstalling the current drivers, then reinstalling with updated drivers).

You should also make sure that your computer is up to date, specially with Direct X 9.0c. Making sure that there's no malware etc. on your machine, and shutting down any unnecasary programs will help to speed up the process too, and make it go smoother.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 pitrevie

pitrevie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for your reply I will see if I can get that card here in Thailand.

#6 SJ8005

SJ8005

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 01 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

One thing to add...You'll find many of your VHS tapes are copy protected. I am also trying to convert all of my old VHS retail movies to DVD for archive reasons. I purchased a program "Honestech VHS to DVD 2.0 Deluxe" to do this. The program worked exactly as advertised the first couple of times I copied a VHS tape (retail movie) to DVD. Then I ran into "Input video is copy protected. You cannot record". HUH? After educating myself, via the web, I found out that many (not all) retail movies published on VHS used macrovision to thwart recording and distributing illegal copies. I'm not pretending to know ALL about macrovision but, in nutshell, it is a industry standard video signal that is embedded on the VHS tape along with the audio and video tracks. Most playback devices (VCR's, DVD players, etc.) will read this signal and not allow you to record. I say "most" because some old VCR's simply ignore the marcovision encoding and will allow you to record. BTW, all retail DVD movies use some sort of encoding to stop someone from recording them.

While I certainly understand the need for copy protection, it is exceptionally irritating that I can't make a backup copy of a retail movie that I purchased! There are workarounds to circumvent the copy protection out there that I'm trying to educate myself (again) on, but maybe someone else here can shine some light on this...

#7 pitrevie

pitrevie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:52 AM

I have had only one tape that has given me any problem copying. For some reason the screen goes black and then the video flicks back on, the audio is normal. I am leaving that tape until last just in case it is a defective tape and not what I am trying to do when I am capturing. I aslo find it frustrating as the tapes I am copying I have already paid for and I dont see why I should have to pay for them again in DVD format especially as some may not even be available.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:59 AM

Have a look at any of thesetools

#9 pitrevie

pitrevie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for that link that looks to be a very useful site.

#10 SJ8005

SJ8005

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

Thanks fozzie, that's what I was looking for...

#11 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

My pleasure :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users