Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ms Flight Sim X

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bluwtr

bluwtr

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:17 PM

Just installed MS FS X for my father in law. It takes forever to load. I'm looking for a program to end all non-essential processes in Windows. I think that is part of the problem. There is too much crap running in the background and FS doesn't get enough of the resources. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:25 PM

CTRL+ALT+DEL will pull up your Task Manager. Just tab over to Processes, and kill all un-needed processes.

If you want to stop programs from loading when Windows startup, just goto Start>Run.. then type in msconfig.. once there, tab over to Startup, then uncheck everything that you don't want loading the next time Windows reboot.

#3 bluwtr

bluwtr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

CTRL+ALT+DEL will pull up your Task Manager. Just tab over to Processes, and kill all un-needed processes.

If you want to stop programs from loading when Windows startup, just goto Start>Run.. then type in msconfig.. once there, tab over to Startup, then uncheck everything that you don't want loading the next time Windows reboot.

Agreed. HERE is a link to the startup list on these forums. Simply type in a startup name and hit search. Read the results, and it'll tell you if it's not needed, needed or up to you to have running.

Also, once you make a change in MSCONFIG, you'll have to restart your computer. You'll get a message at the next startup saying that you've made changes in the startup.....put a check in the box that say's "don't tell me again" (or something to that effect). Also, if you stop something by unchecking it in MSCONFIG, and you want it to run again, simply go back into MSCONFIG and put a check in the box next to it and restart...it'll start along with windows. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Xtr3me

Xtr3me

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 30 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

I have used MSCONFIG a lot. This could be a simple case of a bad graphics card.

What graphics card do you have bluwtr?
Posted Image
Currently Studying: HTML
Coming Soon for me: Flash Website Designing

#6 bluwtr

bluwtr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:53 PM

Sorry for the dealy. This computer has an onboard video card. The computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 (yuk!). It's my father in laws so I'm trying to help him as I can.

I will check into the other suggestions and delve into the msconfig.

Thanks all,

bluwtr

#7 Slayer6571

Slayer6571

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:43 PM

ms flight sim x would probably need a pretty good PC to run smoothly.
could be the lack of good hardware thats slowing down the game.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:21 AM

The Dell dimension 2400 does meet the minimum requirements for ms flight sim x. However, it's DDR ram and integrated video, which would slow things down a bit, probably resulting in choppy performance. Freeing up some resources and ram by removing unnecessary programs from the startup would be beneficial to trying to get the game to run more smoothly (also help the computer performance in general too!). Also try dropping the game settings to the lowest resolution.

Worst case scenario is that you'd have to get a graphics card to run the game, which can be done fairly inexpensively. I believe this machine has a PCI slot for a graphics card. It's just that this Dell wasn't really meant for gaming, it was meant as a low end, inexpensive package deal (which is actually was a good deal too!) with limited upgrading.

You can read through this HERE thread at Dell to get a better idea of a graphics card that you might want for it. They're talking about a dimension 2400 and what gfx card will work for it, you can follow the links to actually look at the cards.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

I read in PC Gamer that FSX requires a lotta-lotta resources to run well. :thumbsup:

I'd try to lower the graphics details, especially scenery textures. Even if the software auto-detects settings, it may have been too "generous" in it's estimation.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#10 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:48 PM

If it's possible with the Dell 2400, it can't hurt to add more RAM to make things load up a bit faster, including Flight Simulator X. I have FS 2004 myself and recently upgraded to turn on all the eye candy in the game and I'm still operating off a socket 478 CPU. Granted, it's pretty powerful for a socket 478 computer, but still, it just goes to show how Microsoft wants to make Flight Simulator accessible to all. Eventually, I'll build my own kick-ass system and hook it up to a giant widescreen HDTV and fly!
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users