Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mapped Drives Disappear In Simple Network

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EJohnB

EJohnB

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:01 PM

One computer running XP Pro using mapped drives on another computer running Windows 2000.
Network runs through a router used to connect to ATT Yahoo DSL Internet using wired ethernet.
Network has worked smoothly for several months.
Christmas day - the mapped drives became unreachable after an automatic update from M$
Uninstalled the update, but that didn't fix the problem at all nor did it change it in any noticeable way.
Can still ping the W2000 computer using its name and its IP address on the network
Can still use VNC to operate the W2000 computer from the XP Pro computer
Have rebooted both computers several times

Perplexing to say the least since I use the mapped drives heavily every day for backup and other purposes.

I'm stumped - and open to suggestions.

Thank you.

EJohnB
San Diego

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:45 PM

M$ upgrades changed many settings for me as well. Recheck that "Reconnect on logon" is still selected on both computers. I lost mine on XP.

#3 EJohnB

EJohnB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

Thanks - still checked - and remapping does not help either - can't find the network path.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:44 PM

You may need to go and re-setup a network on both computers. Try one 1st, then refresh the other one, or simply reboot the newly created network.

I've had this problem before and recreating my network fixed it.

#5 EJohnB

EJohnB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:59 PM

Tell me more about what you mean by "recreate".

I have the router in place (eventually put a switch in to solve a wiring appearance problem), and the computers "saw" each other - created the work group - set up the shares on the W2000 machine - and then mapped the drives - Shazam - working. Then - Merry Christmas - not working.

So - what do I need to do to un-create and the recreate the network?

Thanks,

EJohnB

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:11 PM

What I mean is go into your Network Connections and create a network, but still using the same name/workgroup as before. Sometimes after doing such, I've found that it's necessary to reboot.

Also, are your computers still showing that there are shares on them? I mean looking at the folders from the Windows Explorer. There will be a hand under neath the folders, indicating that it's being shared.

#7 EJohnB

EJohnB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:06 AM

#1 On the XP machine, I have disconnected the shares; until I did that, they were still showing as mapped but the connections continually failed. I have been attempting to remap the drives to no avail.

#2 On the W2000 machine, the drives have, for several years, been shared as "hidden shares", i.e. the root drive is shared as C$ so there is no hand under the drive in explorer on the W2000 machine - (I originally used the network to practice for NT 3.5 and 4.0 MCSE stuff a decade ago and that was the practice then). I have since UN-shared the drives, rebooted, and reshared, both as unhidden and hidden shares, and attempted to re-map them on the XP machine - always with the "can't find network path" outcome, but with VNC still working just fine.

I sure appreciate your advice - tell me more about NETWORK CONNECTIONS, if you have time.

Thanks,

EJohnB

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:27 PM

I continue to have the same problem, and can't describe it any better than you did.
Same thing, XP and Windows2000. They can ping each other, no mapped drives, the shares are there but invisible.

By recreating stuff (including passwords, workgroup names, TCP/IP check etc), I managed to get W2K machine to actually see XP's shared directory and read and write a file on XP, but it's flaky. And the only way I could do it is through the UNC naming \\192.168.1.xxx\shareName. As before, in Zone Alarm each computer, in fact the entire range, is in the Trusted Zone, but I suspect you're ok here with whatever firewall you use, since you too can ping.

Sorry for no answers, I, like you, keep hoping for some clear steps how to recover from what last M$ updates broke.

Edit: I'm not familiar with VNC. Just used to map them before and it worked both ways.

Edited by tos226, 03 January 2007 - 11:30 PM.

#9 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:22 AM

Well you would normally connect using the following path

\\ComputerName\C$

If this is not working try

\\IP Address of Compter\C$

This could be a issue with the PC loosing the Names of the PC's

Maybe a reboot of the router will solve the issue as these normally work all of the DHCP and DNS services on small networks. But try the above first to see if it is a issue with DNS.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users