Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migration Software

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 28_special

28_special

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:09 PM

Has anyone ever used a file transfer program such as Detto Intellimover, or some of the others? I'm looking to save some time in transferring my programs, pictures, music, and the like to my new computer. But from the looks of the reviews, these programs are a waste of time and money. Just curious to see if anyone here had personally used them and what the results were. Is there another way to make the transfer without purchasing one of these programs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:21 AM

I've been hanging out on forums for a while now and haven't read anything good about any of these programs. There have been some mentions of limited success - but not significant enough to make me want to get them (or even try them).

The only "easy" way to transfer everything is with the use of a disk cloning/imaging utility. BUT, this doesn't work well when moving from one computer to another - and can cause lot's of problems because of the different hardware and the 2 different installations of Windows

So, all in all, it's easiest to copy over your data files and reinstall any programs on the new system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SJ8005

SJ8005

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 03:25 PM

I just bought a new PC and used "migration software" to move files from old to new. I must say that I agree with usasma. Since you can't migrate programs, only data, the migration software really isn't needed. You still have to install the actual programs on your new PC anyway. The software I used, Detto Intellimover, did have some neat featues like a "drag-n-drop" window (basically you can see both hard drives from either PC and you just move files like you had two hard drives on one PC) and a safeclean utility which will completely wipe the HDD of the old PC if you are going to recycle it. I suppose if you had a ton of info to move then migration software would be worth it, but save your $$ and do it manually coping files to CD's or flash drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users