Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Socket 939 Or Socket A2?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ebrid001

ebrid001

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:50 PM

Right now,the dual core processors from Intel and AMD are beyond my budget,so it seems to me that the Athelon 64 is a good deal for the money,for how I use a computer.

But I have an eye to the future.

A 939 barebones,with 184 pin memory,with an Athelon 64 is cheaper than the comparable A2 with 240 pin memory and an Athelon 64 processor.

A couple/three years from now,when Vista has been around long enough to be repaired,when dual core processors come down in price.if I choose to put in a dual core CPU and maybe some more memory,will I be sorry I got the 939,184 pin? Will the 939 support the 64 Vista system?

I suppose another way to ask that is what do I get for the extra money with the A2 socket and 240 pin ram.

The Consumer magazine that does not accept advertising says the best deal for the money is something good that is one generation old,and that sounds reasonable to me.

I don't edit motion pictures or play drastic games. Is the 939 the better value for me?

Thank you,

Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:37 PM

I don't know if it would be the better value but i have a socket 939 motherboard and it ran Windows Vista RC1 fine and it runs Athlon 64 Fine too and i can play just about any games....i really see no reason why you should switch....yes there is newer socket motherboards out but *newer doesnt always mean better* :thumbsup:
Just take that into consideration.

Edited by J_pyro_C, 27 December 2006 - 05:39 PM.

#3 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:07 PM

Socket AM2 is like DirectX10. If you have the money go for it. But if you don't want to spend that much, it isn't really needed.

#4 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:10 AM

939 is perfect for everything it works with AMD 64 bits and all that and really there is no problem iwth it, and I mean 3 years from now it'll still be pretty decent, well maybe not 3 , but you get the idea

Newer deosnt' always mean better he's right there lol I bought a motherboard with this computer that was the newest and top of the line and it ended up being faulty and wouldnt' work period..so I got boned out of like 300 bucks right there at the start of my new computer

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:39 AM

Depends on how long you can hold out. The dual core processes are dropping steadily - and will drop even more once Intel releases the quad core Kensington's.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users