Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Automatic Update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:33 PM

Approx two weeks ago I get an icon (yellow lozenge) on my System Tray
showing that Windows Automatic Updates are ready for download.
I clicked on this icon to open the Automatic Updates window.
I clicked on "Express Install" to download them and found that approximately 30 different updates were
available The process begun, installing them one after the other.
When it reached the ~18th update (update #885626) the process stopped and the PC freeze.
I tried the second update option i.e. "Custom Install" I checked all the boxes related to all
the 29 updates (except in the box for #885626), the update process ran smoothly and ended successfully, installing all the checked updates.
Now I have still this icon on my System Tray with this particular upgrade (only one) waiting to be downloaded.
I tried to do so using above process or directly from the package (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9B99C199-5D75-454F-AE07-B620727BE8D8&displaylang=en). but each time the process start running and when it was approximately completed at 2/3 of it (according
to the progress bar - the green process bar was at the 2/3 of its path) the PC freeze.

I am running XP Pro with SP2 and had no problem either installing it some years ago or repairing
it eight months ago.

Why all the updates have been successfully installed except this one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:40 PM

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885626, 885626 is SP2 for Windows XP. Is this what you're trying to put into WinNT? Or is the same number used for something else in NT?

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:57 PM

Thanks tos226
It was a mistake posting it here.
Please can you move it to the approriate post or
do I have to post it again there

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:31 AM

According to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885626, 885626 is SP2 for Windows XP. Is this what you're trying to put into WinNT? Or is the same number used for something else in NT?

I was just reading that article, and I understand it to say that it is a fix to enable a user to install SP2 if the SP2 installation hangs.

What is weird is that Sam-my already has SP2 on his/her machine, so why this particular update?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:26 AM

The article refers to certain situations that may cause this to happen. Here's a quote from the article:

This issue may occur if the following conditions are true:
Your computer uses an Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Celeron D processor that is based on Prescott C-0 processor stepping.
Your computer has a BIOS version that is out of specification.

Note A BIOS version that is out of specification does not provide support for the processor that is installed on your computer.

The "easiest" solution recommended in the article is a BIOS update (flash). If you decide to do the "flash" please be very careful. Here's some generic guidelines for it:
1) Triple check that you have the correct version for your computer.
2) Print out and follow the directions exactly
3) Don't disturb the flash while it's in progress (don't press any keys). Don't stop it for any reason.
4) Schedule it for a time when there's the least chance for power outages/surges/brownouts
5) Don't let anyone near the computer (includes animals also).
6) Double check each key that you press during the flash - don't make any "guesses" as to which key to press.

As long as you're super-cautious, the flash should go well and this should help the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:32 PM

Usama Thanks for your time.
I have never heard about Bios flash. Where can I found detailed instructions.
Is the flash a long process; a simple one
Sorry for these questions, I am afraid to perform it (hope I am wrong).

Please can you clarify:
1) Triple check that you have the correct version for your computer.
The version "of what"?

Many Thanks

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

Are we talking about trying to install SP2 on XP or Windows2000/NT machine? I'm confused still.

Assuming it's some reinstallation into the XP system, a newly downloaded file may be corrupted. It's an enormous file and very easily messed up due to the download time, and possibly flaky connection. One thing I would do is to compare two downloads and see if they match. Perhaps the older files, which sam-my indicates installed once before, could be used in the comparison as well as the update itself.

Edited by tos226, 28 December 2006 - 04:32 PM.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,959 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:41 PM

I am running XP Pro with SP2 and had no problem either installing it some years ago or repairing it eight months ago.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:39 PM

I presume that it's a fix that may or may not be included in SP2 (since it applies to a limited number of systems). Or, it could be an incomplete installation of SP2. Or a missing/corrupt file that's included in this fix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:09 PM

Thanks to you all for your kind assistance.
As I mentioned above i am running XP Pro with SP2.
I ran Belarc program and it showed that SP2 is installed: (copied from Belarc report)

Internet Explorer
SP2 (SP2)
MSXML4SP2
Q827429 on 12/25/2006 (details...)
Q927978 on 12/25/2006 (details..

When I right click on My Computer -> Properties I can also check that I run XP Pro including Service Pack 2.

Assuming (from above) that SP2 is corrupted
Do you suggest to re-install SP2 . If "Yes" how to do that?
To uninstall the existing SP2 (how?) and re-install SP2
Or - to re-install SP2 ON the existing one

Thanks for your time

#11 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:41 PM

Thanks sam-my for clarification.
It appears, then, that MS thinks you need SP2 while you already have SP2 and that is puzzling indeed.

Clearly, something is broken, some database on your computer is not in synch with what Bill Gates thinks.
Sorry, but I don't know what to suggest. There's some datastore directory, then KB list in \windows, as well as the add/remove list that might help figure it out, but without REAL help from an EXPERT on this site who knows precisely what to look for, I wouldn't touch those lists yet, if I were you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users