Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help Installing My Ram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kaj621

kaj621

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

Hi, I have an Asus P4V8X-MX motherboard, and recently got a new samsung M378T2953CZ3-CD5 1gb RAM and it says this on the RAM... "1GB 2$x8 PC2-4200U-444-12-E3"... i dont know what that means but can someone please tell me if my new 1gb ram is compatible with my mother board?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:51 PM

I had a real hard time tracking this motherboard down, how old is it? seems to be like a year or two atleast

anyways, its been a while since I had to install ram and lal that jazz but I will tell you this

your motherboard supposed DDR SDRAM and hte ram you bought was DDR2, big difference there

To explain what the ram markings mean here goes..

PC2 Means its DDR2 4200 is the model 444 is the max speed it can reach and Im not sure about 12 or E3, never got that specific with hardware

You're going to need ot look for PC 3200 Ram more than likely max speed of 333 I believe might want to ask like a tech at your local computer store ot make sure seeing as how its been a while since I last did this stuff but from what I gather your motherboard only supports DDR pc3200 333mhz ram

the stuff you bought I think is more for Mac's moreso than regular PC's

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:58 PM

If you're going to be the one installing the RAM, then just go ahead and install it and find out if it'll work or not. It will either boot properly or it won't. But you won't be hurting anything at all.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

Your mainboard uses DDR 266/DDR333 (PC2100 or PC2700), 184 pin dimms. the ram that you have purchased is DDR 2, which uses 240 pins, it will not fit in the slots on your mainboard.

Do not attempt to install it, as the key and contact positioning is different, and something may be broken.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:53 PM

If the pins are that much off, then it won't install. And it's easily noticed when comparing it next to the other chip or even the slot it goes in.

Your best bet is to take out the RAM you already have, and take it with you the next time so they can see it. Or, write down all the details of that RAM to take with you.

I thought kaj621 compared the two RAMS side-by-side at one point in time. I was mistaken.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

No worries.
The CAS timing on that mainboard is 2.5, so you can't substitute DDR400(PC3200), which has a timing of CAS 3.0.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users