Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop / Remote Control

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 csolarz

csolarz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:33 AM

So I use Wide Open West as my ISP and the cable modem doesn't have a static IP. I use a D-link 524 as an internal router / Wireless access point. I have a few desktops and one laptop in this environment. All clients inside the network are XP Pro or XP MCE2005. Wireless network uses 128bit WEP and SSID is not broadcast. Clients getting DHCP address from D-link router

Say I want to remote into one of these machines from my corporate office network. Obviously I have access to the internet at the office (even an IP on the outside of the firewall). Will I absolutely need a static IP for my cable modem for this to work? I never power cycle it as it's been extremely steady. I know the external IP my D-link router is getting from the modem itself, but had some issues trying to VNC into a desktop. I opened ports 5800 & 5900 on the router (using virtual server) and allowed those ports to the IP address of my main desktop. Now when I launched VNC at my office and tried to connect to the IP address I obtained off of my router, it failed to connect. Is that because my cable modem has another different IP? or is it possible my cable modem doesn't allow certain types of traffic through..

Whole reason I am doing this is I would like to MAC disable my son's Xbox during the day since he's in trouble at the moment. Normally he'd game 24/7 and I don't want him to. So if I could remote into my desktop at home I can log into my router and get this done. Just getting connected at the moment is my issue.

Thanks in advance...

Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:43 AM

The option that I use: http://www.logmein.com and sign up for a free account (from the home computer) then you can login from anywhere.

Also, there's a free IP monitor available (I believe it's called Gateway IP Monitor) on the web that will let you know when the IP address of your home computer changes - that way you can still access it with other tools such as Remote Desktop and pcAnywhere.

Edited by usasma, 28 December 2006 - 10:43 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

Ditto on that Logmein. I use it all the time for remote administration of client computers.

As for the floating IP installing dymanic ip service can be a solution for that. I use no-ip.com.
How to kill a programmer: Give him a shampoo bottle.
Lather, Rinse, and Repeat

http://www.wtc7.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users