Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bookmarks Vs Favorites

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:09 AM

Call me dense, but I have been using Firefox now for several months. I just realized on my toolbar I have an option for both favorites and bookmarks both of which have somewhat different bookmarks in them. Many are the same but some different. I guess when I add, delete or organize them I must have been using both at one time or another. Which one is the one I should be using and do I need them both up there on the toolbar? Also where are these files stored? I don't find them in the Firefox folder.
I've been a Slim Browser user which is basically IE with more bells and whistles, but neither of them I just realized has both in their toolbar.
thanks.
Floyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

In Firefox, you should only have Bookmarks.
In IE you will have have Favorites.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:13 PM

Bookmarks are stored in your Firefox Profile, which is kept separate from the application itself. Five day's worth of bookmarks are retained in your profile in case you need to restore these. The favourites may be the result of your importing these from IE to Firefox when you first used it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I think John may have hit it because I did import my favorites from IE. I thought that favorites/bookmarks were interchangeable terms depending on the browser type and I guess I was right on that account.
Now the question is how do I get rid of the favorite menu selection? Any Ideas on that?
Floyd

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:50 PM

I am going on memory, but are the IE favs not in a separate folder? Even if not, since these are simply links, use Organize Bookmarks to integrate favs into the Ff bookmark folder.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 floyd

floyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:17 PM

Mystery solved. I had an addon called plain old favorites installed and that's what was causing it. I uninstalled it and the favorites went with it.
Thanks for the help anyway.
Floyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users