Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Delete Icon On Desktop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 soccernut43

soccernut43

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:14 AM

:thumbsup: An icon appeared on my desktop for no apparent reason. When I click on it it says "It was not found". When I try to delete it, rename it, or move it to the recycle bin it gives me a "cannot read from the source file or disk". I've tried using spyware detection, virus detection, safe mode, file removal on boot up software, registry cleaning software, regedit to try and find it in the registry, CHKDSK on startup, etc. It's still there. It has an odd name "CAQBOHIR".

Has me baffled (really doesn't take much....). Thanks!! Great site.

soccernut43

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

What does the icon look like?

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:17 PM

Let me ask you these questions:

Is this an old icon that the name just changed on it's own, or is it in fact a new icon that just appeared?

If this is an old icon, did you move it and then the name changed?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 27 December 2006 - 01:34 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 soccernut43

soccernut43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:54 PM

The icon looks like a piece of paper with the upper right corner bent over. In the properties it says it is a file but either way I can't delete it. I can move it where ever I want to on the desktop and it will stay there but I can't move it to get rid of it. I click on it and nothing happens other then the error message.

It's both wierd and annoying.

Thanks!!

#5 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

Have you tried to open said file, while I dont' recommend it, might help to know

what virus scanners have you ran to check for anything harmful

what were you doing previous to said file being found on your desktop (if anything)

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

Try opening the file with Notepad. (Right-click, choose Open With, then Notepad) See if anything looks familiar or if you can get any more info from it. Get Properties on it and see if it tells you when it was installed and any other info about it.

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:44 PM

This also reminds me of a MS Word document.

Are you sure you have no Word documents on your desktop right now? If so, when you move/delete that document, it'll automatically move/delete the file that's bugging you.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,842 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:36 AM

But a word temp file document would share some of the same file name as the document itself, in addition to which they go away when the file is closed. Also, it would have the W symbolizing the file type. Open office, Firefox HTML file icons also have the bent over corner, but again there are distinctive symbols identifying the kind of file it is.

I am more inclined to think that there is something on the computer that shouldn't be.

A very good free program is AVG 7.5 anti-spyware formerly Edwido. If you don't have this program, I would suggest getting and using it. For thirty days you have full functionality after which it loses real-time protection and auto-updates. When I set it up, I simply disabled all the auto-stuff from the start. It is a great on-demand scanner and you can update manually. It is one of the programs I use.

Set-up and scanning directions: http://www.castlecops.com/t137442-AVG_ANTI...structions.html

User's manual - a PDF file: http://free.grisoft.com/filedir/doc/AVG_7....uma_en_75_3.pdf

Download site, be sure to use the button on the left for the free version:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

Let us know if you find anything, and also address the question regarding the properties of the file.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:05 AM

Orange Blossom wrote:

But a word temp file document would share some of the same file name as the document itself, in addition to which they go away when the file is closed.

Not nessesarly. I've created Word documents and that temporary file that's created every time you open the file, doesn't always delete. I even saw some of my .mdb files do the same thing. But, they normally have either the W on it or another symbol (depending on which file was opened).

It would be nice if we could get a screen shot of it to know for sure. Then again, it could be an infection.

#10 soccernut43

soccernut43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:31 PM

>>I am more inclined to think that there is something on the computer that shouldn't be

This is what I'm afraid of. I have AVG Anti-Virus and the Anti-Spyware is 7.5. I've scanned the computer a couple of times and plus have used Spyware Doctor and really found nothing to make the icon disappear. I may try and do this in Safe Mode to see what happens.

No matter what I do it still appears. I'll try and send a picture of the icon on the desktop. Thanks!!

#11 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html
Try deleting it in safe mode or with moveonboot (link above)
HTH
Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#12 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:42 PM

Also, try Unlocker:
http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker

#13 soccernut43

soccernut43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:06 AM

Walkman...THAT DID IT!!!!!

Unlocker didn't find it locked BUT gave me the option to delete it and it did (nothing else I tried would).

Thank you (I was beginning to get a bit paranoid.... :thumbsup: ).

And thanks to everyone who gave me advice, it all helped.

#14 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:36 AM

I am so pleased that it worked!!!

You just made my day.
Now,,, that you know it you resolved the issue, not every locked file is a virus or something similar. Alot of them are due to faulty software, which may cause this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users