Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Rid Of Backgrounds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fbmurph

fbmurph

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 09:38 AM

I want to get rid of some of the backgrounds in the display but cannot do this at the control panel. Can someone tell me how to do this??

Thanks in advance,
Frank

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:04 AM

I'm not sure I understand you, Frank. Your desktop should have one background at a time - do you have more? For instance, there are desktop items which can be added to your background. Or, are you trying to remove backgrounds from your computer completely? Virtually any picture of decent size can be used as a background. Or, are you talking about the type of background Webshots puts into your browser?

#3 fbmurph

fbmurph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:13 PM

Hi Herk

I mean when I call up the control panel ->display -> background, there is a list of pictures that can be used as wallpaper. I want to delete some of these from the list - ones the kids decided to set as wallpaper!!

Frank

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:32 PM

You can delete those file by going to C:\Windows, find the file, then delete them.

[Added Info] Some of those files are also located in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper

Edited by Walkman, 27 December 2006 - 05:36 PM.

#5 fbmurph

fbmurph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:37 PM

Hi Walkman,

Yes I have had a look in C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper but this file contains the jpegs I want to keep. So if someone decides to set a picture as wallpaper, where does this file end up??

Frank

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:54 PM

If you add files to the desktop/background, they will be where you found them. They're not moved at all. I just put a desktop image up, and I can't find it in any folder, besides the one I originally browsed to.

[Update] The downside I see now is that there seems to be no way to remove the file reference from the list. I renamed the file, from where it's located, and when I click on the image name, it's blank, just like it should be... because the file isn't there. But for the sake of it all, how the heck do you remove the file from the list? I gotta go figure that one out.

Edited by Walkman, 27 December 2006 - 07:07 PM.

#7 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:11 AM

I want to get rid of some of the backgrounds in the display but cannot do this at the control panel. Can someone tell me how to do this??

Thanks in advance,
Frank

Frank,
Since this is the 98*Grinler section, I assume that you are running one of those OS's.
In this case, your wallpaper files will all be '.BMP' files in your C:\Windows sub directory.
You can go through there using Windows Explorer and delete the ones you don't want, one at a time.
OR
You can just do a "Find" on C: and get a listing of all BMP files on your hard drive and delete them from the listing that Find gives you.

All those little tiles like "Bubbles" and "triangles" etc., just take up space and are almost never used by anyone.
Years ago, I wrote a little batch file to just delete all those unneeded .bmp files.

Good Luck to you, :thumbsup:
Me :flowers:
For those wanting, or needing the Norton Removal Tool,
it's latest version is available Here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

"The only bad backup is the one you decided NOT to make" Annonymous

#8 fbmurph

fbmurph
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:06 AM

Hi Shadow,

Ran the search - there are a lot of .BMP files but it's one way to delete the files. I presume they will disappear from the list in the display folder.

Thanks,
Frank

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:34 PM

You didn't say which operating system you're using. I don't remember for sure if this was a problem with Windows 98 first edition, but I know that it was with Windows 95 - once in the list, you couldn't remove them without re-installing the operating system from scratch.

In Windows 98 SE, you can remove Windows wallpapers by going to the C:/Windows folder and scrolling down to the wallpaper you wish to remove, like Blue Rivets, and delete it. It will then be removed from the list. Be careful what you remove, since there are files in there necessary to the operation of the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users