Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Windows Movie Maker Work For Anyone.... ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:51 AM

Just out of morbid curiosity I'm trying to find someone who can tell me he has actually been able to import a video file into Windows Movie Maker without this being cancelled because Window Movie Maker "doesn't support this file type".

Every time I try to import a video file into Windows Movie Maker I get one of two notices. I would just like to know that SOMEONE out there on this planet is having some success with Windows Movie Maker. I've been returning to Windows Movie Maker over a fortnight now, and I haven't yet been able to import anything at all.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bone Idol, 27 December 2006 - 04:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:14 AM

Are you wanting to convert/create movies from .VOB files? or are you just trying to play them in Windows Movie Maker?

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 05:34 AM

I am trying to import .VOB files into Windows Movie Maker after having ripped them to harddisk folders using DVD Decrypter and VideoReDo Plus... so that I can edit-out the advertising segments in them.

That's all I want to do with Windows Movie Maker - I just want to reauthor them so the commercial breaks are removed.

Over the past fortnight I have tried many different software programs to try to do this, but either I couldn't understand how to operate them - or I would end up with a movie in which one-second freeze-frames appeared wherever I had made the cuts.

VideoReDo Plus kept scrambling my video streams. VobBlanker remains a mystery to me after many times trying to work it.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:27 AM

If you look at the file types in the drop down for file types in the Windows Movie Maker, .VOB isn't listed, which normally means it isn't a supported file type.

The .mpg file you loaded that had the error message should have loaded without problems. But that may depend if you have the needed codecs or not installed on your computer.

You may need to:
Convert the .VOB to .AVI................................ then
Use VirtualDub to cut out the commercials.......... then
save the file as an .AVI file............................. then
use a conversion software from .AVI to DVD format.

Then, just burn away using CopyToDVD or DeepBurner or any other friendly program.

Someone just done a post yesterday or so wanting to do the same thing you're wanting to do, and he posted that he found the software to easily do it for him. It may work for you too. I don't remember the post off hand, but I did reply to it, if that helps you out.

Also, when using DVD Decrypter, it's better if you also have DVD43 installed and running along side it. That may eliminate your scrambled video.

You can get great FREE conversion software at http://www.doom9.org. They have it all, for FREE, for the media manipulator.

You can also get FREE Codecs at http://www.free-codecs.com.

Edited by Walkman, 27 December 2006 - 06:28 AM.

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

Thanks very much for all your help with this, Walkman. I've printed out your post, and I'll be checking through it all.

I'm a newbie, so I'm going to have to find out what codecs are and why I need them.

For a while there I've been trying to use VirtualDub - but had to give it up because I couldn't figure out how to work it. Same with VobBlanker and a half dozen other programs.

Regards

#6 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:28 PM

I haven't been able to do a thing. I downloaded ConvertMovie - and then discovered it's payware.

I've tried to use my ConvertXToDVD... and all I get is this notice... "is unsupported or not A/V file". Absolute nonsense -- I've sat and watched VTS_01_1.VOB playing in one of my software.

Posted Image

The only thing I want to be able to do is remove the advert breaks from my recorded movies and then re-burn them to disc. I've spent a solid two weeks at half a dozen PC help sites and so far no-one has been able to give me a clue how to do this.

And I have discovered that very few people understand the concept of "instructions' as against 'explanations'. I don't want the 'explanations' - I want the 'instructions' - the simple guides. I want to know HOW to do it first... and then I've got the rest of my life to worry about the academic details which explain how this is all possible.

I have read the "Simplistic Guide to how to operate VobBlanker" - and at least 80% of this 'simplistic' guide is composed of academic detours, and 'explanations' - and annoying verbal distractions which have absolutely nothing to do with teaching the reader how to do the job. Needless to say I still haven't a clue how to work VobBlanker.

I have discovered that it takes rare genius to know how to keep things simple and relevant when giving instructions to a newbie as to how to operate certain software.

In future I will stick to my CopyToDVD to rip my discs to harddisk folders... and I'll stick with DVDShrink to remove the commercial breaks out of my movie files... and I'll use CopyToDVD to burn these re-authored movie files back to disc. The only reason I went looking for some other reauthoring tool is that DVD Shrink leaves a one-second freeze-frame wherever I have removed the commercial breaks.

Edited by Bone Idol, 27 December 2006 - 06:44 PM.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:13 AM

And the beat goes on... :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users