Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autorun. Exe - Entry Point Not Found

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 musineer

musineer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:00 AM

Hi,

I've just tried to install two games, but they won't install on one pc and will on an old one! (both running xp pro)

I get the error:

Autorun. exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

I tried clicking the autorun and setup directly, but still get the error message.

Any suggestions as to how I can remedy this? I've been having trouble with the disk drive since a motherboard and hard drive upgrade. It wouldn't install a lexmarc printer driver/prog cd either - yet it has installed other progs and does seem to work ok otherwise (audio files and data files are all readable and able to be copied - it burns audio files ok too).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:00 AM

Go to the Start button, then to Run. Type in sfc /scannow. This should repair the missing files. It will prompt you for your system or recovery CD.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 musineer

musineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you advised (thanks for the accurate typing btw) but I get a new error stating that the wrong cd is inserted or the drive is faulty.

Can a cd-drive go partly faulty?

It works fine other than when installing these games! (both have XP as a suitable OS, and the speed is over twice the minimum)

Any other thoughts? Could it be a dodgy cable?

Lite-on don't seem to stock the drivers or firmware for the LTR-40125S, so I'm thinking of swapping this cd drive with one from an ancient pc (which is under-speck, but did load the game before telling me the graphic card was not compatible (32MB min - the old pc has only 16). Am I likely to encounter new and more interesting problems if I make this swap?

Thanks again for replying,

Happy holidays to all

Edited by musineer, 27 December 2006 - 01:31 PM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

Go to the Device Manager and see if the CDrom is visible. If it is visible is there a ! or ? next to it?

#5 musineer

musineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:09 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy reply. The device manager states that the cd-drive is working properly (no yellow blobs, ?, or !)

Not sure if it will help, but when installing another game I get

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).
Click on OK to terminate the application.

when I click autorun I get the above top line but with 96 at the end.

That cd-drive in the old pc is looking more and more attractive!!!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:16 PM

According to Microsoft knowledge base article 217134 it may be a damage or corrupted sound card driver.

#7 musineer

musineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:28 PM

Hmmmm,

I use an Audiophile 24/96 card, not creative labs (the pc is primarily for music creation). All the audio applications work well, although having said that, I've not been able to open 4bit 8(or 6)khz files (but that's an entirely different and even more baffling issue).

The games do state that DirectX 9b must be installed, though the one I installed on the old pc did install DirectX 9b during the installation process. I'm now trying to find out which version I've got on this pc.

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, as the game did install on the old pc - unless by some odd fluke the old pc had 9b installed to begin with.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'd buy you a pint or feed you a pie if you were here!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:50 AM

To check your DX version:
Start...Run...type in "dxdiag" (without the quotes) and press Enter
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 musineer

musineer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:18 PM

Cheers usasma - that saves a lot of ferreting about in folders I don't usually open!

The game says 9b must be installed...I've got 9c on both PCs, so that's probably not the problem. Hey ho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users