Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

So Many Problems! Nothing Works Right! Please Someone Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SPL Tech

SPL Tech

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:10 PM

Ok I am having many various random problems with Windows XP home. I have been having these problems for about a month so two weeks ago I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows. Well the problems still exist!!!! I don’t know how this is possible because I did a full reformat on my hard drive and thus the drive was erased clean. Last time I checked reformatting your drives and reinstalling Windows fixes 100% of software problems not related to a compatibility issue. So this one has severally stumped me.

Ok these are the main problems I am having.

When I try to shut down Windows sometimes I get this message:

Posted Image

Directly after I get that message I get the “this program has encountered an error and needs to close” message and it lists Explorer as the program that needs to close. I am talking about the general error that asks if you want to send an error report and what not. After I click “don’t send report” I get my desktop again and I have to choose shut down again before it will shut down.

The next problem is that sometimes when I open one of my folders that has lost of video files in it I get this message:

Posted Image

And generally when I exit the message it pops right back up and I have to click close 15 times before it will go away. Sometimes it won’t go away until I close the folder with the videos.

The next problem I am having is that sometimes I will be doing something (anything) and the mouse pointer will randomly jump to somewhere on the monitor (generally in a corner). It will only do it once but its very annoying when playing games.

The next problem I am having is related to my dual monitors setup. I have things set up so that the start menu is on my left monitor and the right monitor is in the extended desktop mode. Well sometimes I will restart my computer and find that the start menu and desktop icons are on the right monitor. So I go into the display properties menu and for the life of me I can’t get it to go back to the other monitor. So the only thing I can do is switch my monitor DVI cables.

WTF could possible be doing all this even after I completely reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows?

Here is a list of most of the programs that are on my computer now that was also on my computer before I reformatted the drive:

-MSN Messenger
-Yahoo Messenger
-Lime Wire Pro
-Aim Messenger
-Gaim
-F.E.A.R. Combat
-UltraMon
-Starcraft
-AVG Free
-Adaware SE
-Total Video player
-Windows Media Player 11
-Adobe Acrobat
-ATI Catalyst Control

Also my CPU is overclocked. Its OC’ed to 380 FSB or 3.04 GHz. However last night I ran ORTHOS for 9 hours and 9 minutes with the “blend” option selected and the system passed. It said:

Type: Blend - stress CPU and RAM Min: 8 Max: 4096 InPlace: No Mem: 1791 Time: 15
CPU: 3039MHz FSB: 380MHz [379MHz x 8.0 est.]
CPU: 3040MHz FSB: 380MHz [380MHz x 8.0 est.]
12/24/2006 4:36 PM
Launching 2 threads...
Using CPU #0
Beginning a continuous self-test to check your computer.
Press Stop to end this test.

And when I stopped:
Torture Test ran 9 hours, 9 minutes 27 seconds - 0 errors, 0 warnings.

Also my ram is underclocked to 740 MHz. To keep a 1:1 ratio. The PCI-E slot is locked at 100 MHz. And the GPU is not OC’ed.

The computer I am using is listed in my signature.

And no I dont have any voruses, adware or spyware.
CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
GPU: X1900XT 512MB Connect3D Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

What I suggest you do is to do another new installation after a complete format and do it in the most simple configuration possible, for example, the least amount of peripherals possible, standard default settings for your motherboard (no alterations to ANY clock speeds, etc), one video card, one monitor (preferably a crt), no sound card, and only a keyboard and mouse (preferrably PS2 not USB).

Then add only the minimal amount of programs necessary - your av ap, firewall, etc.

After you get Windows functioning properly you can add whatever else you wish and adjust settings.

Edited by Enthusiast, 26 December 2006 - 10:23 PM.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

I would have to say the problem sounds like a hard drive is about to fail. All of those problems could be hard drive related. Even with a clean install, you shouldn't be having all of those problems...... except

a. your hard drive is going bad
b. your mouse is going bad.
c. you RAM is going bad
d. something you installed is corrupt.

Do a clean install again, but this time don't install anything what-so-ever. Just a basic Windows install.

If the problem goes away, then you're installing something that may be corrupt.
If the problem doesn't go away, then either your Windows cd/files are corrupt or your hard drive is going south on you.

Also, have a RAM check performed. You can download software to do so or you can do it online. I would go for the download. At least you'll have the program on your computer or disc if needed later on down the road.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:38 PM

A oouple of more thoughts:

I don’t know how this is possible because I did a full reformat on my hard drive and thus the drive was erased clean.

Not neccessarily the case. If you want a clean disk you must do more than this, such as rewrite the disk with KillDisk or some other similar software product, then partition the hard drive, then format it when installing XP.

I see you have LimeWire installed. Tsk, tsk. :thumbsup: Using LimeWire is one of the quickest ways to get infected. It has been written that 80% of what you download from this P2P site is infected. It's a bummer, but true. Perhaps an infection came back into your machine with data that you saved from before the reformatting and then reinstalled?

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 27 December 2006 - 01:40 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:49 PM

I had the DEP error for the longest time on my computer as well
I eventualyl took some time to look up what exactly it is and how the hell to turn it off, Its basically to prevent corrupt files from being opened or corrupt exe, however, its not entirely needed

to fix that issue you simply just need to select the DEP option to have it on but neglect some programs from it, such as internet explorer,
when i did this, it stopped completely and I haven't had the problem since

to edit the DEP listing simple right click on my computer, go to properties, Advanced, under performance click settings, And there should be a tab that has Data Execution prevention or whatever, /Go go there, Select the turn on DEP for all programs except those I specifiy, and just add IE as one fo the programs it shouldn't run under

i have found no further problems with DEP after this, and nothing bad has come about my computer because of it,

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:35 PM

About the mouse cursor leaping to a corner - sounds like an optical mouse. Is the laser passage clean? (Blow it out with canned air.) Does it like the surface it's on? They seem to like a surface with some kind of marking better than a blank surface. But I've never found a way to completly eliminate cursor jumping with an optical mouse. It still happens occasionall. I use a cloth placemat under mine. They also like woodgrain tops.

#7 SPL Tech

SPL Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:28 PM

I have even more problems to add. Now in addition to the previous problems I also have:

The start menu keeps switching monitors. I had to switch the DVI cables not for the second time in tow days. Also now some of my desktop icons are gone. I just restarted the computer and half the icons are gone.

I already checked for viruses and adware / spyware and I got nothing. WTF is going on?

As far as my Hard drives go, I have two and they are both brand new and a good quality brand (listed in my sig). Also I know for sure the second error is cannot be hard drive related. The one that just says "error" on the second picture. I know it cant be the hard drive because it did it when I had it on hard drive number one and when I had it on hard drive number two.

As far as the RAM goes, it is also brand new and a good quality brand (Corsair, listed in sig).

The Windows files are not corrupt from the CD. I bought a OEM XP fully legit CD from Newegg and I never had problems until two months after Windows was installed for the first time.

As far as the mouse, yes its optical. It’s on a mouse pad and the lens is clean.
CPU: Core Two Duo 2.13 GHz. E6400 OC'ed to 3.0 GHz. / 380 FSB RAM: 2 GB. Corsair 800 MHz. XMS2 DDR2
PSU: 535 watt Enermax Whisper II HD: (2) 320 GB. Seagate Barracuda 16 MB. 7,200 RPM SATA II
OD: 52X DVD±RW Monitors: (2) Hanns-G JW199D 19" 16:10 widescreen DVI in extended desktop mode

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:13 AM

Turning off DEP will leave you more vulnerable to infections. If you turn off DEP on IE, then IE is susceptible to those exploits (which come from the web - and IE or email are their main entry points)

Did you install the drivers for the motherboard/chipset (and the other drivers) after you reinstalled Windows? Not having them could cause problems similar to this.

When troubleshooting a system it's best to return the system to a "stock" state before trying to troubleshoot the problem. This way any unexpected "glitches" in any custom settings/programs will be eliminated as a source of the problem. This is particularly true of overclocking and custom drivers. I'd suggest reverting to stock settings (no overclocking) and stock drivers while troubleshooting this problem. Once the problem is resolved, you can then resume overclocking with the assurance that the system is stable.

Windows accesses both of the hard drives (in the background) continuously for it's own purposes - so it could be an issue with either of the hard drives.

To test the hard drives - go to the manufacturer's site and download their testing tools (usually free) and run the tests on the hard drives. That'll let you know if they are bad or not.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 SPL Tech

SPL Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:22 PM

Well I have the over clock off right now and I am trying that. However things are VERY slow!!!! As slow as my $300 Dell. I don’t know why. Its ridiculous. It seems like I am on my Dell again.... Everything is effected including my Internet. My 4 mbps connection is running as slow as a 512 kbps connection because the computer is not loading the sites fast enough.

#10 motherboard

motherboard

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 04:37 PM

i'm not an expert in this kind of thing but maybe you overclocked a bit to much and its buggered up the cpu.
try the hard disks in another pc.

#11 Ross Zip

Ross Zip

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

Try this scan on your system to check your system http://safety.live.com/

Edited by Ross Zip, 28 December 2006 - 06:18 PM.

______
~Ross~

Posted Image

[indent=1]

#12 SPL Tech

SPL Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:02 PM

I got a Hijackthis log. This is it:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:51:53 PM, on 12/28/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMonTaskbar.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Gaim\gaim.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\Sayar\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.032\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/index.php
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [GBB36X Configure] C:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidTool.exe boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UltraMon] "C:\Program Files\UltraMon\UltraMon.exe" /auto
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RAM Idle] C:\Program Files\Customizer XP\RAM_2K.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: BitDefender Scan Server (bdss) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BitDefender Desktop Update Service (LIVESRV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BitDefender Virus Shield (VSSERV) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: BitDefender Communicator (XCOMM) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe" /service (file missing)

I DO NOT have any spyware / aware or viruses. I did a full system scan of both drives with AVG, AD-Aware SE, BitDefender, CounterSpy, and Avast. They all came back clean.

Also I turned the overclock off and things were terribly slow. I could barely surf the net. Things were extremely slow and sometimes I couldn’t even open Internet Explorer. Further more some programs randomly stopped responding and crashed. I also still had the Windows data execution error with all stock settings.

I have re overclocked my CPU because I cant operate with the overclock off.

But still even with the overclock on things are slower and more laggy then normal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users