Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Play Counter-strike:source?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:26 PM

Ok, I need some help getting my FPS up to normal in CS:S, cause its killing me... literally lol.

here is my graphics card and specs:

DxDiag:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/26/2006, 13:52:29
	   Machine name: KYLESCOMP
   Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
		   Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Compaq Presario 061
	   System Model: PN233AA-ABA SR1222NX NA440
			   BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/27/04 13:45:15 Ver: 08.00.10
		  Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.93GHz
			 Memory: 504MB RAM
		  Page File: 330MB used, 514MB available
		Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
	DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
	 DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
  DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
	  Display Tab 1: No problems found.
		Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
		  Music Tab: No problems found.
		  Input Tab: No problems found.
		Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:	0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
		Card name: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
	 Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
		Chip type: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Controller
		 DAC type: Internal
	   Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2582&SUBSYS_2A08103C&REV_04
   Display Memory: 128.0 MB
	 Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
		  Monitor: Default Monitor
  Monitor Max Res: 
	  Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0010.3889 (English)
	  DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 Driver Date/Size: 8/20/2004 16:11:36, 37951 bytes
	  WHQL Logo'd: Yes
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
			  VDD: n/a
		 Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
	Mini VDD Date: 8/20/2004 16:26:00, 737874 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-66C2-11CF-BD7C-020AA5C2CB35}
		Vendor ID: 0x8086
		Device ID: 0x2582
		SubSys ID: 0x2A08103C
	  Revision ID: 0x0004
	  Revision ID: 0x0004
	  Video Accel: 
 Deinterlace Caps: n/a
		 Registry: OK
	 DDraw Status: Enabled
	   D3D Status: Enabled
	   AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
 D3D7 Test Result: Not run
 D3D8 Test Result: Not run
 D3D9 Test Result: Not run

I have already:
- Added "Casey's Config"
- Changed some command line settings (-heapsize and -dxlevel)
- Changed Video Qualities to low

Any ideas? I really dont want to buy a new gfx card, not in the budget atm.

Thanks guys

-kyle

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:41 PM

Is the problem happening while playing any part of the game, or when you get to certain parts?

Make sure you're not running any programs in the background, and that includes any virus protection programs and such. That may cause the game to slow down.

I have that game too Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, (great game), and the only FPS problem I'm having is on the Italy board, so far. The computer it's on is slower than yours, but for the most part, the game runs smooth on it. All my other games run ok too.

Also check on their web site and see if it's a bug, and they may have a fix for it, if it's known to be a problem or not.

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 02:05 PM

It may in fact be your gfx card, If I am reading that right you have an onboard with 128 megs

While your cpu is pretty decent to run source, your gfx card if what I said is true, is lagging behind on everything, Cards that can run Source right now are seriously cheap, howeverI do realize the budget thing to that effect

What's your max FPS generally, on any given map

Im making the assumption that on maps like aztec and prodigy or anything outdoorsy with any added effects you lag terribly, if this is true, then you might wnat to consider disabling things such as added sound and rain, that might help you a little bit better

I recently lost my only source account, So I can't really get into too many details as I didnt' really play it that often at all, So Ill just leave you with those thoughts

#4 killer_kyle

killer_kyle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:19 PM

Aye, you red correctly, I got an on board with 128 mb gfx card.

How much would a good one to run source cost? I do have a few gfx cards to best buy, as well as some Christmas money to spend.

Posted Image

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:45 PM

Decent video cards don't cost that much, you can get decent ones for around the $100-200 price range.

I have that game too Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, (great game), and the only FPS problem I'm having is on the Italy board, so far. The computer it's on is slower than yours, but for the most part, the game runs smooth on it. All my other games run ok too.

Well, Counter-Strike: Source is quite different than Counter-Strike (1.6) and Counter-Strike: Condition Zero. Counter-Strike: Source uses the Source engine which powers the game, Half-Life 2, so it's more demanding than playing regular Counter-Strike.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Actually, I'm not familiar with the term {source} with respect to game playing. I'll have to read up on it.

#7 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:42 AM

think of source as like the quake 3 engine basically, just different, it has the same mechanics, and I htink it came out before the quake version did, not too sure on that, HL source, and CS source both run off of this, its just an upgraded version of real time playing, can support more graphics and more realism, lol nothing huge, really isnt' that demanding of a game tbh

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

think of source as like the quake 3 engine basically, just different, it has the same mechanics, and I htink it came out before the quake version did, not too sure on that, HL source, and CS source both run off of this, its just an upgraded version of real time playing, can support more graphics and more realism, lol nothing huge, really isnt' that demanding of a game tbh

Well, not exactly. You are correct about Half-Life: Source though. Half-Life: Source basacially just took the old Half-Life game and added some new Source Engine effects to it (such as water, explosions, fire, ragdoll bodies, limited physics, ect). Counter-Strike: Source on the other hand is a completly 'new' game. It is still Counter-Strike, but it's been rebuilt entirely on the Source Engine instead of having some effects added in onto the old and outdated Quake engine that runs Valve's games prior to Half-Life 2 and the Source Engine.

You are partly right about how demanding it is as well. For example, Half-Life 2 can look quite decent even on a weaker computer. However, to run the Source Engine, it's more demanding than running the old and outdated Quake Engine that's used to power the older games.

#9 Hardcore

Hardcore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

Im a big time fan of Counter strike: Source and your problem is your graphics card. I run on a Nvidia GeForce Fx 5200 256mb and i run Counter strike with decent FPS on the main maps and even higher on surf maps. The 5200 is a cheap and old PCI graphics card as my computer only has PCI slots, with that card i run BF2 on low, Css on full settings smooth as and WoW smooth no lag. I also have 768mb Ram, so I would recommend upgrading to 1GB Ram from your 504. I also had an old 5200 with only 128mb and it ran Css fine on full for ages but lagged a bit for BF2. I also have a 2.4Ghz processor. Hope that helps,

~Hardcore

Edited by Hardcore, 28 December 2006 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users