Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[q] Radeon Video Card And Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 houseplant

houseplant

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:38 PM

Boxing day put me into possession of an ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB, and I've got a few questions out there if a Guru would like to take me on. I'm hoping somebody thinks, "Wow! That's so ezi, such a noob!" while reading this, so that it's an easy case.

The video card I'm using right now is an Nvidia GeForce PCX 5300, and came with my Medion media center. The system board is a MEDIONPC MS-7046, the cpu is a regular old 3.00GHz intel Pentium 4. It also has a gig of RAM, so I'm not too worried about that.

This is my scenario: I'd like to switch out my Nvidia in place of this Radeon, but my power supply only has 4 pin power connectors. The card has a 6-pin female input. In addition, the recommended wattage is 450 and my current box only supplies 320. Personally I'm liking the idea of the x-connect power supplies, so I don't have this four/six/eight pin problem in the future. Unfortunately, I don't know which would be a good selection to get the best out of the product. This is why:
If I'm going to spend money on more upgrades to my computer beyond the current video card exchange, I might as well go and get a second video card and crossfire the two. This would mean I'd need a motherboard with two PCIe slots and a power supply that's ATI crossfire ready.

So my question is this: What is the suggest course of action to properly intergrate the Radeon into my PC? What power supply would be a decent idea if I simply stuck with the one video card, and what power supply and motherboard would be a decent idea if I crossfired two Radeons instead? In addition, are there cheaper video cards that can be crossfired with the new X1950 pro? I'd prefer not to spend a whole bunch of money just on upgrading this computer, when I could simply go buy an entire new one.

Interrogate me if that's what is required to help me out; I'm not that much of a computer whiz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:57 AM

You are going to need that larger PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users