Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Earthlink Accelerator Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:17 PM

When I log into the Earthlink Toolbar, the Accelerator usually starts up and runs without problems. Lately (and a while ago this happened too) it doesn't start, and it says "Accelerator only works with your dialup connection." It's not finding the fact that I'm logged in to the toolbar.

The worst part is that every time Earthlink is started, the proxy configurations for IE are changed to localhost:8080, even if I remove them. So, when i want to use the internet (very slowly) I have to change the preferences each time.

The first time this happened, I contacted Earthlink and they told me to download and install the newest version. It worked up until now (which was about a month or two) and started doing the same thing.

I don't feel that downloading the Accelerator installer will fix my problems again. Is it possible that something recently installed (despite the fact that I haven't installed anything recently) could be blocking it?

I'm willing to try anything, except of course a full uninstall and reinstall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

Do you have a antivirus installed and up to date? Do you have a firewall? What antispyware are you running and how regularly do you run it? Setting changing for no apparent reason is a good indicator of malware.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:06 AM

I am using the Earthlink Protection Control Center, and it's up-to-date. It is antivirus, firewall, and antispyware in one - I hate it, but the computer's owner (my mom :thumbsup: ) doesn't want me to use other programs like AVG and Spybot, what we originally had.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:29 AM

I would recommend you review and use, "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A HiJackThis Log". The problem with this recommendation is your mother. I would REALLLY get tweaked if someone instructed my child to do something I specificity told them not to. Unless you can change her mind you MUST leave the computer alone. Remember, her toys her rules. After all you would not want someone messing with your stuff without your permission, right?
Is this Earthlink connection dialup or ADSL?

#5 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:15 PM

My mom is completely computer-illiterate. The only reason she wants to use Earthlink is because it's what came with the internet package. I am the Computer Administrator, she simply owns it.

Another problem arises when using spyware removers (this might be for a different board): any scan I run finds "Surfmonkey", a part of the Earthlink program. If I remove it, the TotalAccess program doesn't start at all. I'm not sure if this is the main problem because PCC found this entry a while ago, and the Accelerator worked with it.

(The Earthlink is dialup :thumbsup: , and can I post my HijackThis log here?)

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:21 PM

My mom is completely computer-illiterate. The only reason she wants to use Earthlink is because it's what came with the internet package. I am the Computer Administrator, she simply owns it.

Another problem arises when using spyware removers (this might be for a different board): any scan I run finds "Surfmonkey", a part of the Earthlink program. If I remove it, the TotalAccess program doesn't start at all. I'm not sure if this is the main problem because PCC found this entry a while ago, and the Accelerator worked with it.

(The Earthlink is dialup :thumbsup: , and can I post my HijackThis log here?)

No. Post the log in the HJT Forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users