Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yet Another Ram Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

Today is boxing day so I went out to the stores and bought me some ram for my computer. This is not the first time I buy ram nor the first time I install it in a desktop but this time it's in a laptop.

So first of all my computer is an Acer Aspire 5043 and in the user manuel, in the specifications area it is written exactely beside the system memory column "256/512 MB of DDR333 MHz Memory, upgradeable to 2 GB using two soDIMM modules"

Knowing what soDIMM modules are I went out and bought "gb micro 512 mb DDR2 soDIMM PC4200 (533MHz)". but it doesn't work. When I mean doesn't work is it doesn't fit. The key doesn't line up. the key is two far left... They way it would fit well the key is off and when the key is lined up well the ram is too far right. Just by about a eigth/sixteenth of an inch.

Did I buy the wrong RAM? Do you think they'll accept a return if it isn't?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

The difference may be (and I'm not overly familiar with SoDIMMs)that DDR333 and DDR533, is that DDR333 may be simply DDR (the first version) and DDR533 is definitely DDR2, thus the physical difference in size....? Maybe.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:20 PM

Yeah I think that is it now that I did my research on wiki...

DDR2 is not backward compatible with DDR wich I presumend :thumbsup: stupid me...

So tomorrow going to see me good friend over at staples... (I know him well... I have had alot of problems their I walk in the store and they almost send the manager to great me cause they know I am going to find a problem with a price that doesn't match the computer and the price that is displayed. Hihi that day was so funny...)

Edited by Klinkaroo, 26 December 2006 - 05:20 PM.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:52 PM

And yes, most retailers should accept the return so long as you swap with them and pay the difference... :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users