Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Upgrade Killing Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HPaul

HPaul

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hi all. Newbie, here! I tried searching the forum for problem similar to mine but it seems that when it comes to Mobo and RAM issues there could be many possibilities. So this is one last attempt for information before I get a replacement Mobo.

Information on the system:
HP Pavilion 513n – 1.8 GHz/400
Motherboard is ASUS Model PAG533-LA with onboard Video Card
Shipped with 256MB or RAM

I was trying to give a boost to that old clunker by adding more RAM (increase from 256MB to 768MB by adding a 512MB stick). HP’s site said that this system could handle PC3200 DDR 400 RAM which is what was brought for the upgrade (later we found out that this new RAM was obviously not compatible with the
PC2100/266mhz/256MB stick that was already there).
  • We put the new RAM 512MB/400 stick and powered the system. Power came in but no display. And there came a faint smell of burn. We powered off immediately.
  • Remove new stick and put old stick RAM 256MB in slot 1. System and fans power briefly then die. Put old stick in slot 2 and same things happen.
  • Tried powering system with no RAM at all. System powers up OK but with continuous long beep. No video signal (monitor on amber) and no POST.
  • Tried powering system with known working RAM stick (PC2100/266MHz/512MB) from friend’s system. System powers up OK. No beep. But still no Video signal (monitor on amber) and no POST.
  • Since this Mobo has no jumper for clearing CMOS we tried clearing the CMOS by removing battery (and leave it out even overnight). Then powering it with the known working RAM sticks. Same result as step 4 above.
  • Read in other forum that perhaps Video card burned out and got a PCI video card and powered with known working RAM sticks. Same results at step 4 above. Since we can’t access the CMOS we cannot disable the onboard video card.
At this point I am thinking that the old RAM stick that was in the computer must have gone bad. But what about the video card or the Mobo? Is there anyway to
test those before we consider buying a new Mobo? Any light you can help shed on this will be truly appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.
I have installed several upgrade PCI (Old PCI) cards in HPs and each time the BIOS sensed the card and automatically disabled the onboard video. Make sure the card it inserted in the PCI slot closest to the CPU.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:17 AM

Unplug the system, open up the case, and sniff around to try and find the source of the burnt smell. That's likely to be your problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users