Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can No Longer Burn Cd's With Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buttercupfarm

Buttercupfarm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4]
Hello ~

I have been downloading songs from 360 Share Pro and burning them to a CD using Windows Media Player with no problem until recently. I can listen to songs; just not burn them. I get the message:

Windows Media Player encountered an unknown error. This can occur when another program or operating system component encounters a problem but does not communicate the nature of the problem to the player.

I am completing my on-line schooling as a Medical Transcriber so recently downloaded the Start Stop Universal Transcribing System onto my computer. I'm afraid to mess with anything so I sought out your advice.

Also, my Start Stop Universal Transcribing System case files will play with Windows Media Player, but are not working with my transciber's foot pedal, which uses Real Time.

Thank you for reading this,
Rhonda ~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:34 PM

What you're going to have to do is use another burning software and see if you can still burn. Try DeepBurner http://www.deepburner.com It's FREE.

Install it and then try to burn something. If you can burn, then you know it's the WMP with the problem. If you still can't burn anything, then it's probably an issue with drivers and (or) certain programs.

#3 Buttercupfarm

Buttercupfarm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:07 PM

Thank you ~

I did download the free version of Deep Burner Pro and I was able to burn with it, although I don't like it nearly as well as Windows Media Player. Can you tell me how to fix Windows Media Player? This is a new computer. Should I reinstall my Windows XP Professional software? I can upgrade to Windows Media Player 11; I have 10 now.

Thanks again ~
Rhonda

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

You may want to uninstall it 1st, then install the newer version.

The way you uninstall Windows Media Player is by going to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, then click the button to the left that says Add/Remove Windows Components, then scroll down the list, and un-check the Windows Media Player. Then ok it. It'll then un-install. Afterwards, reboot.

When you log back on, just do a Windows update, and it will put it in the list of programs to be installed on your computer.

#5 Buttercupfarm

Buttercupfarm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

Case Closed! Problem Solved!! :thumbsup:

Thank you SOOOO much for your wonderful assistance. I appreciate it very much

Rhonda ~

P.S. I like Windows Media Player 11 way better than my older version of Windows Media Player 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users