Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mtlfs01

mtlfs01

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:20 PM

Hi, every time I pop in a dvd in wmp I get an error and have to shutdown the player. Can anyone tell me what this error is about and if there is a fix for it. Audio files are fine but it can't seem to play video..Thanks

PS I can't post a screen print but the error is in a file called 9fec_appcompat.txt which I can't find. Does anyone recognize this error

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 03:12 PM

Maybe you need the correct codecs.

Goto FREE-Codecs http://www.free-codecs.com and in the left side, you'll see a list of recommended codecs. You should also download the DivX player which will install probably the codecs you need.

#3 mtlfs01

mtlfs01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. I went to free codec and downloaded the XP codec pack 2.0.6 and it seemed to have done the trick. What did you mean by "download the DivX player which will install probably the codecs you need." What is a Div X player? Sorry I don't know much about codecs

Edited by mtlfs01, 27 December 2006 - 07:12 PM.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 27 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

Depending on your actual file, you may have to install different codec packs, and it can cause computer problems, and that's why I suggested the DivX player. The DivX is the most (used alongside other programs) versatile/standard form of converting, encoding/decoding of movies, and powerful as to making your movies compatible with Dolby Surround Sound, THX, Hi Definition. The DivX player even supports subtitles and multiple audio tracks.

If you get the spare cash to do so, you can go buy a DivX player for around $40+, and do away with your traditional dvd player. They play everything a dvd player will play, but with the added bonuses of playing .mpg, .avi, etc.. formats. So in other words, if you took 6 .avi movies and burned them to a dvd, you could put that dvd in the DivX player, pull up the menu on screen, then select which movie you want to watch, and it'll play. Every one of them.

You'll know when you see a DivX player. All of the ones I've seen have the DivX logo on the front of the player. Some DivX players have the Windows logo on the front. All in all, you can just ask for DivX player, and any sales person should know what you're talking about. Also, look on the box for the logos. If it doesn't say it, then it's not a DivX player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users