Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"my Documents" Locked. I Cant Get In!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alteris

Alteris

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm running a XP Home Edition SP2 system with all possible upgrades.
Some time ago, i've had a system disc c: and "my documents" folder on an other drive, f: "My documents" folder was locked for other users, only me from my password locked profile, could get in.
A problem occurred and i had to format my system drive c:, but unfortunately i forgot to unlock "my documents" folder.
After reinstalling my system i could'nt get inside that folder! System shows it is empty, but when i check how many disc space is avaible it seems that all of the data is still in place. Also, after reinstall "my documents" drive letter changed from f: to e:

How can i unlock that folder and get back my data?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 09:47 AM

What did you use to password lock the profile?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Alteris

Alteris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 03:40 PM

I've used standard, built in windows option and option "make this folder private" in My Documents 'Settings'.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:53 PM

UhOh! EFS (Encrypted File System) issues - this is a tough nut to crack. Here's some links that discuss this:
http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/index.php
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community...mvp/sv1206.mspx

Also, here's a shareware tool that says it can recover the data:
http://www.topshareware.com/Advanced-EFS-D...wnload-3160.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Alteris

Alteris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for help. I've had that program before, but it couldn't help me. Propably, because my drive letter changed.
The articles came in handy, aspecially the first one, but unfortunately im not a n advanced user.
Anyway, I've still got hope, thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

#6 xhi

xhi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

It would probably be helpful to change the drive letter back to the one the system thinks it is. You can do this by going to Start-> right click on My Computer and choose manage. then under storage click on disk management. right click on your drive "E:" and select "change drive letter and paths". Highlight E: and click change... then select "F" and click ok and ok. Now the drive should match the information in the registry.

Hope that helps

Xhi

XHI
"Never start vast projects with half-vast ideas"

#7 Alteris

Alteris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for the info how to change disc letter, unfortunately it didn't help in encrypting files.
Still, ill be trying to get them out.
Thanks again guys for you help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users