Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NOT BEING ABLE TO INSTALL ANYTHING :(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OWEN MCEWAN

OWEN MCEWAN

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:20 PM

I have recently bought XP and have installed it onto my computer since doing this my computer wont let me install anything Msi.chm ??? or MSDC ??? any way please help because im dying to put my songs onto my ipod and i cant because because i cant install the software :flowers::trumpet::thumbsup::inlove: PLEASE HELP Error 1606 could not access network location <common administrative tools>.All users What the hell is that lol

Edited by OWEN MCEWAN, 29 December 2004 - 06:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 29 December 2004 - 07:58 PM

this is a quote from the microsoft tech support...
whole article found here:

Microsoft article on this error

SYMPTOMS
After you upgrade Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition to Microsoft Windows XP or Windows XP SP1, when you install a program on your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
Error 1606. Could not access network location <Common Administrative Tools>.All users\.
Additionally, nothing may occur when you try to open Administrative Tools in Control Panel.

<snip>

RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
4. In the right pane of Registry Editor, double-click Common Administrative Tools.
5. In the Value data box , type the following line, and then click OK:
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
6. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.

BE SURE TO READ THE WARNING

and another thing the article states is this:
this error may also be caused by norton antivirus 2003

hopefully this will fix your machine...

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users