Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help A Dummy Set Up A Network:wacko: ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LadyWillow

LadyWillow

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 07:41 PM

Hello I have a computer in the kitchen on adsl internet. My son has been given a new computer in his room. I would love to set up a network to share all files and internet connection but am very confused as to what I need to do this. Both comps have an ethernet adapter, xp running but the new computer is faster. I have a siemens speedstream 4200 modem which only has a usb port left unused.what do I need to get and how do I set it up? Does it matter which computer you set the network on? I also don't have a great deal of funds at my fingertips so will probably use ebay to buy what i need. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :thumbsup: I have read the tutorial here but still need help.I was told the modem is also a router but as it only has an usb port left I don't think this will help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LadyWillow

LadyWillow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

Does noone want to help me ? Please I would really like to set this up over the day or two!

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

Here are a couple of good articles for you to have a look thru;

Windows XP:Setting Up your NetWork, and
Windows XP:Intro to Home and Small Business Networking.

Hopefully I am able to turn this thread over to a member with some experience in Setting Up a Home Network.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

Well it really all depends on a few things. Does the Modem have any ethernet ports?
If so then I would say ust get a hub and connect the 2 computers to the hub via a wired connection on Ethernet.

If not then you will need to get another NIC for the Computer that is connected to the modem. This will need to have a cable linked to the new computer from the new NIC.
The you would need to enable Internet connection Sharing (ICS).
This solution requires the main Kitchen machine to be on all the time the other PC is wanting to connect to the net.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users