Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ipod Issues

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 25 December 2006 - 04:20 PM

Got a new ipod for xmas (generation 5 w/ video) and i can't put any movies or videos on it, or rename it.

The music aspect works just fine, and i have all my songs/cd's on it already, but i can't seem to put music videos or movies on it using the same method. I tried "Add file to library..." while in my movie library, but after re-connecting my ipod, it won't sync. I also tried to manually sync it (through the ipod setting tab... thingies....) and it keeps giving me an error message like "***'s ipod can't be updated. An unknown error occured (-50)". This happens pretty much whenever i click the "apply" button on my ipod screen.

This also happens when i try to rename my ipod by simply clicking twice on the "Owner's Ipod" and typing in a new name.

So what is this "(-50)" error, and how can i fix it? Also, i know that you can put "movies" into the "music video" file by Right-clicking on a movie and changing the drop-down menu, but how do you then send the music video playlist to the iPod?

It also gives me the same error if i plug in my ipod, right-click on "music" (under my ipod), and click "Sync". Something that simple shouldn't cause an error....

Also, when i try to sync playlists (under the ipod) it says "disk cannot be read from or written to"........... seriously, wtf?

Thanx for the help in advance, if anyone pays attention to me...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jurgenv

jurgenv

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:07 AM

Did you converted the movies to MP4? :thumbsup:
Greets Jürgenv

Donation: Click me.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

Hi HM, Reading thru some discussions on this I've come across some things
I don't have a G5 so some things were foreign to me. Anyway, It seems that -50 error is cured by deauthorizing and reauthorizing ... follow this thread
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...1&tstart=30

In this post ,, you are led to this post: Where I've BOLD faced a key section
hypnotizd

Re: unknown error [-50]
Posted: Sep 21, 2006 12:13 PM in response to: hypnotizd Reply Email

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3153235?
da devil suggests to deauthorize/authorize your computer once. I think I'll give this a try tonight and report back.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3153235?
in which he says
Re: unknown error -50???
Posted: Dec 5, 2006 10:05 PM in response to: da devil Reply Email

I did what you said, to get an autorization on my computer, it worked, but it´s easier if you just only enable disk use. You can use both of them and it will work

Hope this worked
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 11:54 AM

Jurgany, thanx, i got a video converter and can now sync movies to the iPod, but i'm still having a ton of problems....

After originally syncing (the automatic syncing that occurs when you first plug in the ipod), i can't sync anymore. In order to update my ipod, i have to unplug, then replug the ipod to the computer. I can't force a sync by right clicking on my device, or it gives me an error (-50) and says "disk can not be read from or written to".

As for your suggestions, i've already been there and tried those. Everytime i click "Apply" after checking "enable disk usage", it freezes and gives me the same (-50) error. I haven't been able to access the iTunes store, so i don't think i can deauth/auth, since someone on another website tried the same thing, but didn't have an itunes account, so he couldn't do it.

To review: I get the error message whenever i try to force a sync by right-clicking, WHENEVER i click "apply" in the device window, no matter WHAT option i change, and when i try to change the name of my ipod. The "can't click apply no matter what i do" is the one that's killing me, since most of the solutions to the sync'ing problem seem to involve changing some options on the device...

EDIT: The error message i've been getting the past 2 days when trying to connect to the iTunes store and create an account is:
"We're sorry, we cannot complete your request on the iTunes store at this time. Please try again later". I'm assuming maybe that's just because there are so many new people accessing it...

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 26 December 2006 - 11:57 AM.

#5 jurgenv

jurgenv

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:02 PM

Please try to reinstall Itunes. :thumbsup: After that update the version of your Ipod software via de 'update' button under 'owners Ipod'

Try also the repair button under the update button. don't forget to click 'apply'

Edited by jurgenv, 26 December 2006 - 12:04 PM.

Greets Jürgenv

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

I've already tried re-installing iTunes twice, and also tried restoring my actual iPod to factory settings both times i re-installed. After each re-install, i made sure my iPod was up to date w/ software/firmware.

I've tried clicking the "repair" ("restore"?) button, but it simply says "Restoring Owner's Ipod" then freezes there for a loooooooong time, with no progress, seemingly. The ipod remains dark, so there's not even a 'do not disconnect' warning....

EDIT: After waiting long enough after confirming to repair/restore, it gave me another message... this time error (1418)....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 26 December 2006 - 12:15 PM.

#7 jurgenv

jurgenv

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:30 PM

Try another USB port? Are you sure you're using a 2.0 usb port?
Did you also restored the settings on your Ipod via 'setting'==>'Reset all settings'?
Greets Jürgenv

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:38 PM

Yes, i've tried multiple usb ports. 2 on the front and one in the back, and they all have the same issues.

#9 jurgenv

jurgenv

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:46 PM

I suggest you try without enabling Disk use. :thumbsup: Does that solve the problem? I always sync without enabling it.
Greets Jürgenv

#10 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:53 PM

I have no choice but to not use it, as i can't enable it in the first place...

#11 jurgenv

jurgenv

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

Normally it should work when you enable disk use... But I really have no idea how to solve this problem, maybe you should post your question on the Apple support forums?
Greets Jürgenv

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:26 PM

People on the apple support forums are having the same problem, with no solution in sight:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...1&tstart=30

I've tried just about everything in that thread and still no help. I've decided just to say "screw it" and return it. This definately isn't worth all the hassle. So unless apple comes out w/ a solid fix before i return to school, i'm not keeping it...

Thanx for the help jurgenv, i appreciate the effort.

#13 jurgenv

jurgenv

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:40 PM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:
Greets Jürgenv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users